Researchers have found that tattoos may impair natural sweating, potentially causing the body to overheat if the tattoos cover a large area of the body.
In the study, published in the Journal of Applied Physiology, the research team outlined the connection between tattoos and damage to sweat glands.
Their study of tattooed skin and adjacent non-tattooed skin on the arms of an evenly-divided group of men and women found that the tattooed sections of skin had reduced sweat rates.
Thats a potential problem because sweating is how the body cools itself and regulates its temperature.
Any damage to eccrine (sweat) glands within the skin can impair sweating response and potentially increase the risk of overheating if the damage covers a large enough body surface area, said study author Scott L Davis from University of Texas (UT Southwestern) in the US.
Eccrine sweat glands, which are found in most skin across the body, produce sweat to cool the body. The human body must regulate its temperature for survival.
In the study, the research team determined sweating rates in the upper and lower arms of people with tattoos by comparing at least 5.6 square centimetres of tattooed skin with adjacent non-tattooed skin.
Ten people both men and women participated in the study.
These volunteers wore a special tube-lined suit that circulated hot water in excess of 120 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes to increase core temperatures and measure the level of sweating.
Tattooed and non-tattooed areas of skin both began to sweat at around the same time. But tattooed areas ultimately produced less sweat than areas without tattoos.
The findings suggest that even though nerve signals to sweat glands werent affected in tattooed skin, the sweat glands themselves were likely damaged during tattooing.
Tattoos are made permanent by injecting ink through the thin layer of outer skin into the middle layer of skin known as the dermis, which contains connective tissue, hair follicles and sweat glands.
Applying a tattoo typically requires puncturing the skin with needles 50 to 3,000 times per minute, at a depth of 1-5 millimetres which could result in sweat gland damage.
These data indicate that the collateral effects of the tattooing process negatively impact eccrine sweat gland function and could be considered a potential long-term complication or side effect of this cosmetic procedure, researchers wrote.
View original post here:
- Military becomes more tolerant of tattoos, obesity - The Korea Herald - December 3rd, 2020
- Mike Tyson Mao tattoo: what does it mean and why did he get it? - AS English - December 3rd, 2020
- David Fincher's Defiant Women in Gone Girl, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Collider.com - December 3rd, 2020
- This female tattoo artist from Afghanistan is breaking stereotypes with her creations - Times Now - December 3rd, 2020
- In Asia, 3 Jewelry Brands Reflect the Times - The New York Times - December 3rd, 2020
- When Professionalism Doesnt Look the Same to Everyone - Florence Health - December 3rd, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Worker woke to find word 'nonce' tattooed on forehead as two arrested for GBH - Mirror.co.uk - November 28th, 2020
- This Side of the Pond - Sundancetimes - November 28th, 2020
- The tattooist who breaks taboos and challenges conservative Afghan society - Inspired Traveler - November 27th, 2020
- Bev Callard's wild marriage to 'megash*g' husband Jon - tattoos and 22 bridesmaids - Mirror Online - November 27th, 2020
- Tatted Toy Guys turn hobby of collecting toys into Elizabethtown business - LancasterOnline - November 26th, 2020
- The Undertaker Tells Story Of Getting His First Tattoo And Naturally The Tale Involves The Hells Angels And The Ultimate Warrior - BroBible - November 26th, 2020
- Dot compensation: how thousands of tiny tattoos can help disguise the bald truth - Sydney Morning Herald - November 26th, 2020
- Western News - The Western News - November 26th, 2020
- Megan Fox Reveals New Tattoo At The AMAs. Here's What It Means - The List - November 23rd, 2020
- Police: Witness followed Windsor robbery suspects, leading to arrests - Journal Inquirer - November 23rd, 2020
- A Picture and its Story 2020: Part two - The Wider Image - November 23rd, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Woman walked around with horror burns - Gympie Times - November 23rd, 2020
- Does AJ Pritchard have tattoos? What about the other Im A Celebrity stars? - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- Longer Looks: Interesting Reads You Might Have Missed - Kaiser Health News - November 21st, 2020
- Mysteries of Dolly Parton uncovered - secret tattoos and rarely-seen husband - Mirror Online - November 20th, 2020
- Tim Blanks' Top Fashion Shows of All-Time: Kim Jones Autumn/Winter 2005 - The Business of Fashion - November 20th, 2020
- Exhibition Review: Ink in the Lines, Australian War Memorial - ArtsHub - November 20th, 2020
- Craig Hlavaty: Why you should give the gift of blood for the holidays - Houston Chronicle - November 20th, 2020
- Police warning to dog owners after suspected attempted dog thefts - Cornwall Live - November 20th, 2020
- Ukraine: Armed Groups' Arbitrary Pandemic Restrictions - Human Rights Watch - November 20th, 2020
- Scotland fan gets tattoo of famous Serbia result on upper thigh to celebrate reaching Euro 2020 - The Scottish Sun - November 20th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City Premiere Recap: Good Time Girls - Vulture - November 12th, 2020
- How about TAT! Women make up 70 percent of all tattoos in Poland - The First News - November 10th, 2020
- Heres What The Leaked Application For The Bachelor Looks Like - TheThings - November 10th, 2020
- These are the most wanted men by police in Norfolk in November 2020 - Eastern Daily Press - November 10th, 2020
- Check Out Nick Cannon's Muscular Body with Tattoos as He Shows It off during a Workout (Photo) - AmoMama - November 8th, 2020
- Have you seen them? They're accused of fatally shooting a man in the head - KHOU.com - November 8th, 2020
- These are the most wanted men by police in Norfolk in November 2020 - Thetford & Brandon Times - November 8th, 2020
- Part of a cultural encounter: Travel and its complicated history with tattooing - The Independent - November 8th, 2020
- And Now You Know: My story of meeting the Atakapas - Orange Leader - Orange Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Suns Deandre Ayton confuses the hell out of the internet with new tattoo - ClutchPoints - November 5th, 2020
- The Mystery Behind the Tattoos of Seth Rollins - EssentiallySports - November 5th, 2020
- Body modification addict gets pair of tusks - yes tusks - to go with tattooed eyeballs and split tongue - DubaiLAD - November 5th, 2020
- Tucson Salvage: A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- Irezumi, the art of japanese Tattoo | Galerie &CO119 - Artsy - November 4th, 2020
- In an election season with new highs and lows, some campaign trick standouts - The Ledger - November 4th, 2020
- A Florida Demographic That Could Swing the Election - The New Yorker - November 3rd, 2020
- This Auburn cop killed 3 and injured others. His department didn't stop him outsiders did - KUOW News and Information - October 31st, 2020
- Dallas Man Arrested, Accused of Selling 19-Year-Old as Sex Slave to South Carolina Man - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - October 31st, 2020
- Lee Mack show The Chop cancelled after Nazi tattoos on contestants face could be connected to far-right id - The Sun - October 31st, 2020
- These arm tattoos will suit the arms, so you are thinking of getting an idea from here - Pledge Times - October 30th, 2020
- Growing tribe of Japanese proudly defies tattoo taboo, eyes Olympics boost - Yahoo! Voices - October 30th, 2020
- 'Taish' Is About Angry Young Men And Where Have We Seen That Before? - HuffPost India - October 30th, 2020
- Dallas man sold 19-year-old as sex slave to South Carolinian who wanted to brand her, feds allege - The Dallas Morning News - October 30th, 2020
- Help find 10 of South Yorkshire's most wanted men - Yorkshire Live - October 30th, 2020
- Deepdive: This is why #endsars trended this week - Mumbai Mirror - October 25th, 2020
- Male rappers are more than their music The Vermont Cynic - Vermont Cynic - October 24th, 2020
- Victor Ray Cruz Wanted to Turn His Life Around Then He Got the Coronavirus - Voice of San Diego - October 22nd, 2020
- Donations of blood wanted by hospital | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - October 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men Who Love Ink - menshealth.com - October 21st, 2020
- Women in Bhopal are getting tattoos of Goddess Durga to signify women empowerment - Free Press Journal - October 21st, 2020
- On Suits and Face Tattoos: The Black Community's Obsession with Respectability - The Southern Digest - October 21st, 2020
- Does Zac Efron Have Any Tattoos? The Answer Is Surprisingly Complicated - POPSUGAR - October 21st, 2020
- Dr. Dre and His Son Get Matching Tattoos - Rap-Up.com - October 21st, 2020
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020