Getting a tattoo is probably not something to take lightly. Case in point, I once met a guy with a pizza rat tattoo. Trust me, you do not want to be him.
Yet, coming up with good ideas for an original tattoo can be difficult, especially if you have many pieces already or you dont know how to begin your collection. But before you dare ink a rodent eating a greasy New York slice on your body, there are better ideas.
If you need something to spark your next tattoo idea, this is the right place to be. From iconic traditional tattoos to modern symbolism, inspiration for your next ink is bound to come your way from these 40 classic and unique designs.
What you wont find on this list is trendy designs, tribal tattoos, Native imagery, wildly offensive suggestions, lovers names, or tattoos in languages you dont know. Just dont do any of it.
Whether youre mulling over your first tattoo or you're filling up your last patches of free skin, these 40 tattoo ideas are some to consider.
Willie B. ThomasGetty Images
A rose tattoo is a classic design for any person of any genderand for good reason. The tattoo lends itself to almost any style of tattooing, providing depth and interest with layered petals. You really cant go wrong.
Edward BerthelotGetty Images
Another undisputed tattoo classic is a human skull, as it's both a morbid reminder of mortality and a badass piece of ink. Like the rose, it spans tattooing styles, fitting any guys budding tattoo collection.
If you have a favorite quote, why not ink it? Whether its a life mantra or a phrase your father always said, a quote tattoo is always a good way to go as long as everything is spelled correctly.
Thinkstock ImagesGetty Images
A traditional-style heart and banner stands the test of time for the simplicity of its tribute. Just make sure the name in the banner is someone youll love for life, like your mom or dad or dog.
Patrick Hochbaum / EyeEmGetty Images
If you want to go hyper masculine with your selection, nothing says tough guy quite like a strong, fierce animal tattoo. From lions to wolves to tigers, majestic animals are a top-notch selection for depicting strength and resilience.
Another classic piece of ink, spiderweb tattoos first became popular among those tangled in the prison system. Now, webs arent associated with time on the inside, but still add an edge to your ink.
Mark A PauldaGetty Images
Instead of tattooing a numeric birthdate or year on your body, transferring that number into Roman numerals can be more pleasing to the eye. With line-based figures that provide angles and structure, Roman numerals lend themselves well to tattooing.
Nacho CalongeGetty Images
Want to get a little creepy? Horror movie tattoos are perfect for the spooky super fan who wishes every day was Halloween.
Mike HarringtonGetty Images
Nautical motifs are forever associated with tattooing in the West, as sailors are largely credited with bringing the art form to the Western world from Polynesian and indigenous Asian communities. Nautical themesincluding ships, anchors, wheels, lighthouses, and compassesare staples of tattooing, especially in traditional styles.
Thomas LohnesGetty Images
If you have a particular song carries special meaning, tattooing a particularly poignant lyric is a way to celebrate that significance without constantly singing.
If you are an unapologetic nerd, use your ink to proudly show off your passions. Admittedly, this guy went a little H.A.M., but you could always tone it down a few notches.
Gian Carlo Ampie / EyeEmGetty Images
Another classic when it comes to tattoo imagery, a dagger is a symbol of strength, freedom or badassery. You can also get a dagger tattoo to commemorate that totally real knife fight you were once in
Stefn Plsson / EyeEmGetty Images
Celebrate your roots with ink in the shape of your home state or country. A simple outline tattoo is a great way to keep your homeland close, even if it is New Jersey.
Jason MerrittGetty Images
A heart tattoo is a way to show your softer sidebut you can still get a little interesting with it. Favoring an anatomical design is a welcomed variation on this classic tattoo.
Podoplkin Vasilij / EyeEmGetty Images
Channel the peace of the natural world with a nature-themed tattoo of mountains, rivers, trees and more. Whatever makes you calm, throw it in there. Even if you live in a concrete jungle, this will add some solace to your skin.
A staple of traditional tattooing, swallows were popularized among well-traveled sailors. Nowadays, truly anyone can get a swallow tattoo, which will never go out of style.
Veronique DURRUTYGetty Images
Eagles symbolize strength and wisdom, with these birds commanding the skies. Eagles are also obviously associated with patriotism, if thats your thing. But they are just plain awesome as a chest piece with spread wings and no one can deny it.
Tattoos depicting time can be a sobering reminder of mortality, or point to a specific time in your life. Set an analog clock to a special time or date (like 5:25 for May 25), or tattoo a simple hourglass to depict fleeting time. No matter your choice, time is a constant in lifeand there aint never enough.
For those who praise a higher power, religious tattoos are undeniably popular. From depictions of gods to symbols like crosses, religious tattoos are a way to keep your faith close forever.
When done right, portrait tattoos are commanding, impressive and just plain stunning. Just make sure you go to a portrait artist, for the love of god.
Fernando Trabanco FotografaGetty Images
A popular style in recent years, geometric tattoos take a seemingly normal object and break it down to a series of angles and shapes. An especially stellar technique for animal designs, this style is a way to add interest to a simple idea.
Halfpoint ImagesGetty Images
Not every tattoo needs to depict a tangible object. Some can just be plain cool, like large-scale design work that prioritizes black and gray patterns.
Antonio Garcia / EyeEmGetty Images
Go to an artist specializing in lettering if you want a single word or two in bold type. Lettering work is an art, and a way to really make a meaningful single word stand out. Just dont make it your own first name.
For the artsy types, abstract ink is a way to turn the body into a canvas. Some tattoo artists specialize in brush-like ink and whimsical design. Seek those stylistic stunners out for a project like this.
BORIS ROESSLERGetty Images
If you have tattoos you want to cover, blackwork may be for you. This style of tattooing covers often large areas of skin with saturated black ink. Its an eye-catching way to cover a bad decision, but also a tattoo style that takes talent to master.
Amanda Norris / EyeEmGetty Images
Single line tattoos create a design out of one non-breaking line. When done right, its an impressive illusion that the artistic-type will love.
From butterflies and scorpions to bees and spiders, tattoos of insects are probably more popular than insects themselves. Even if you still jump at the sight of a spider or swat away a bee after getting one inked, no one has to know.
EZEQUIEL BECERRAGetty Images
Are you a certified creep? Display it proudly with a somewhat goth, somewhat freaky piece of ink. Consider a creepy tattoo a warning to others of your sinister, spooky ways.
AFP ContributorGetty Images
Illusion tattoos, like those that depict tearing flesh, are a stylistic way to jazz up any design. From torn edges to a swath of ripped flesh running through a design, this tattoo element goes hardespecially when paired with anatomy and mechanical-themed tattoos.
Fine line tattoos are popular for their realism and intricate design. Though the aging of these pieces are up for debate, fine line tattoos are undoubtedly impressive, almost looking like a temporary tattoo from childhood.
Marianna MasseyGetty Images
A pinup girl is traditional tattoo staple, representing the femininity, power and allure of women. Once popular among soldiers, people of all genders now sport pinup girl tattoos as a nod to the roots of tattooingand to celebrate sassy, sexy women.
MARCO BERTORELLOGetty Images
Flash tattoos are often smaller tattoos an artist designs for a flat rate with no alterations. Some artists pre-design a collection of flash for an event (like those famous 13 tattoos for Friday the 13), tattooing each design multiple times. Some flash, however, is a design an artist wants to do that a client can claimand its only tattooed once. Either way, flash designs are great when you find an artist you love because, lets be real, sometimes letting professionals have free reign is better.
Celebrate the natural world (and death, but whatever) with an animal skull tattoo. From bird skulls to steer skulls, animal skulls are aesthetically pleasing and edgy. And dead. Very dead.
Lucy LambriexGetty Images
A flame tattoo probably reminds you of a bad-to-the-bone OG biker guy. With similar ink, you can channel that energy, even without a motorcycle license.
Kevork DjansezianGetty Images
This tattoo is admittedly a little trendy, but a smart way to remember a moment in time. Whether its the location of your childhood home or the exact spot you had a memorable experience, getting a minimal coordinate tattoo is a small reminder for you and only you.
Anadolu AgencyGetty Images
Space is the vast and mysteriousand that makes it great for tattooing. From astronauts to galaxies to planets, space tattoos depict the unknown thats beyond us, which is pretty freaking sobering and sick.
Henry HorensteinGetty Images
Any book nerd will appreciate a literary tattoo that celebrates their favorite read. From quotes to cover art to any other creative depiction, literary tattoos acknowledge the power and impact of the written word.
Felix HannappelGetty Images
A true classic, snake tattoos are winding and edgy, making them visually interesting. Snakes often represent shedding your skin and transforming, or knowledge and patience. But again, they just look cool, which is probably enough for most tough guys.
The Washington PostGetty Images
A memorial tattoo is a meaningful way to celebrate the life of a loved one. Unlike anything else, ink is forever with you, meaning the person you memorialize will be eternally close. If you are grieving, the permanent nature of tattooing can be healing and comforting.
And when the skin on your body is filled with every other design on this list, its time to tattoo your knuckles. The ultimate badass placement when no other skin is left.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
- Military becomes more tolerant of tattoos, obesity - The Korea Herald - December 3rd, 2020
- Mike Tyson Mao tattoo: what does it mean and why did he get it? - AS English - December 3rd, 2020
- David Fincher's Defiant Women in Gone Girl, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Collider.com - December 3rd, 2020
- This female tattoo artist from Afghanistan is breaking stereotypes with her creations - Times Now - December 3rd, 2020
- In Asia, 3 Jewelry Brands Reflect the Times - The New York Times - December 3rd, 2020
- When Professionalism Doesnt Look the Same to Everyone - Florence Health - December 3rd, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Worker woke to find word 'nonce' tattooed on forehead as two arrested for GBH - Mirror.co.uk - November 28th, 2020
- This Side of the Pond - Sundancetimes - November 28th, 2020
- The tattooist who breaks taboos and challenges conservative Afghan society - Inspired Traveler - November 27th, 2020
- Bev Callard's wild marriage to 'megash*g' husband Jon - tattoos and 22 bridesmaids - Mirror Online - November 27th, 2020
- Tatted Toy Guys turn hobby of collecting toys into Elizabethtown business - LancasterOnline - November 26th, 2020
- The Undertaker Tells Story Of Getting His First Tattoo And Naturally The Tale Involves The Hells Angels And The Ultimate Warrior - BroBible - November 26th, 2020
- Dot compensation: how thousands of tiny tattoos can help disguise the bald truth - Sydney Morning Herald - November 26th, 2020
- Western News - The Western News - November 26th, 2020
- Megan Fox Reveals New Tattoo At The AMAs. Here's What It Means - The List - November 23rd, 2020
- Police: Witness followed Windsor robbery suspects, leading to arrests - Journal Inquirer - November 23rd, 2020
- A Picture and its Story 2020: Part two - The Wider Image - November 23rd, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Woman walked around with horror burns - Gympie Times - November 23rd, 2020
- Does AJ Pritchard have tattoos? What about the other Im A Celebrity stars? - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- Longer Looks: Interesting Reads You Might Have Missed - Kaiser Health News - November 21st, 2020
- Mysteries of Dolly Parton uncovered - secret tattoos and rarely-seen husband - Mirror Online - November 20th, 2020
- Tim Blanks' Top Fashion Shows of All-Time: Kim Jones Autumn/Winter 2005 - The Business of Fashion - November 20th, 2020
- Exhibition Review: Ink in the Lines, Australian War Memorial - ArtsHub - November 20th, 2020
- Craig Hlavaty: Why you should give the gift of blood for the holidays - Houston Chronicle - November 20th, 2020
- Police warning to dog owners after suspected attempted dog thefts - Cornwall Live - November 20th, 2020
- Ukraine: Armed Groups' Arbitrary Pandemic Restrictions - Human Rights Watch - November 20th, 2020
- Scotland fan gets tattoo of famous Serbia result on upper thigh to celebrate reaching Euro 2020 - The Scottish Sun - November 20th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City Premiere Recap: Good Time Girls - Vulture - November 12th, 2020
- How about TAT! Women make up 70 percent of all tattoos in Poland - The First News - November 10th, 2020
- Heres What The Leaked Application For The Bachelor Looks Like - TheThings - November 10th, 2020
- These are the most wanted men by police in Norfolk in November 2020 - Eastern Daily Press - November 10th, 2020
- Check Out Nick Cannon's Muscular Body with Tattoos as He Shows It off during a Workout (Photo) - AmoMama - November 8th, 2020
- Have you seen them? They're accused of fatally shooting a man in the head - KHOU.com - November 8th, 2020
- These are the most wanted men by police in Norfolk in November 2020 - Thetford & Brandon Times - November 8th, 2020
- Part of a cultural encounter: Travel and its complicated history with tattooing - The Independent - November 8th, 2020
- And Now You Know: My story of meeting the Atakapas - Orange Leader - Orange Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Suns Deandre Ayton confuses the hell out of the internet with new tattoo - ClutchPoints - November 5th, 2020
- The Mystery Behind the Tattoos of Seth Rollins - EssentiallySports - November 5th, 2020
- Body modification addict gets pair of tusks - yes tusks - to go with tattooed eyeballs and split tongue - DubaiLAD - November 5th, 2020
- Tucson Salvage: A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- Irezumi, the art of japanese Tattoo | Galerie &CO119 - Artsy - November 4th, 2020
- In an election season with new highs and lows, some campaign trick standouts - The Ledger - November 4th, 2020
- A Florida Demographic That Could Swing the Election - The New Yorker - November 3rd, 2020
- This Auburn cop killed 3 and injured others. His department didn't stop him outsiders did - KUOW News and Information - October 31st, 2020
- Dallas Man Arrested, Accused of Selling 19-Year-Old as Sex Slave to South Carolina Man - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - October 31st, 2020
- Lee Mack show The Chop cancelled after Nazi tattoos on contestants face could be connected to far-right id - The Sun - October 31st, 2020
- These arm tattoos will suit the arms, so you are thinking of getting an idea from here - Pledge Times - October 30th, 2020
- Growing tribe of Japanese proudly defies tattoo taboo, eyes Olympics boost - Yahoo! Voices - October 30th, 2020
- 'Taish' Is About Angry Young Men And Where Have We Seen That Before? - HuffPost India - October 30th, 2020
- Dallas man sold 19-year-old as sex slave to South Carolinian who wanted to brand her, feds allege - The Dallas Morning News - October 30th, 2020
- Help find 10 of South Yorkshire's most wanted men - Yorkshire Live - October 30th, 2020
- Getting Inked can impair sweating, make body to overheat - The Statesman - October 25th, 2020
- Deepdive: This is why #endsars trended this week - Mumbai Mirror - October 25th, 2020
- Male rappers are more than their music The Vermont Cynic - Vermont Cynic - October 24th, 2020
- Victor Ray Cruz Wanted to Turn His Life Around Then He Got the Coronavirus - Voice of San Diego - October 22nd, 2020
- Donations of blood wanted by hospital | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - October 22nd, 2020
- Women in Bhopal are getting tattoos of Goddess Durga to signify women empowerment - Free Press Journal - October 21st, 2020
- On Suits and Face Tattoos: The Black Community's Obsession with Respectability - The Southern Digest - October 21st, 2020
- Does Zac Efron Have Any Tattoos? The Answer Is Surprisingly Complicated - POPSUGAR - October 21st, 2020
- Dr. Dre and His Son Get Matching Tattoos - Rap-Up.com - October 21st, 2020
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020