Its no secret that we live in a patriarchal society. Ask a young woman in her 20s jackpot if shes single and shell tell you. She has to confront and combat a million instances of patriarchy just to get to the end of the day. Because a woman with an independent existence and decision-making agency is a hard pill to swallow for the desi aunties and uncles around us. Were never enough always too fat, too thin, too talkative, too quiet, our clothes and habits under scrutiny all the time. And when we question these unfair terms we are expected to live by, were seenas troublemakersintent on maligning thesanskaarsof Indian culture with habits too bold or voices too loud.
These are everyday events in the life of women, like me and you, who know what they want for themselves.Unfortunately, it comes with boxes and labels of all sorts loose, bad, sluts, characterless all of which demeans our identity as individuals and women. Since its a common malady, we asked a bunch of 20-somethings about the whackiest things they have been told by relatives and elders that made them go WTF!
Trust your relatives and aunties to notice even the slightest changes in your skin colour as if their lives depended on it. Seriously, who needs shade cards when we have these people around?
The sheer glee elders experience in reminding you of the fact that youre getting older and counting days to your marriage remains unsurpassed by anything else. What did you say? You dont want to get married? Sorry, I cant hear you over the noise of yourbaraatIm visualising in my head.
This, even when youre spending your own hard-earned money on some well-earned goodies for yourself. Thanks, but no thanks aunty. If I ever have a husband, he can keep his money in a bank for all I care. Im financially independent.
Haath se nahiaunty, Indiase nikal gayi.
Find me a woman who hasnt received this narrow-minded remark where beauty standards are defined in terms of weight scales and ideal bodies. You wont be able to, because it is just that common.
Oh lord. Make up your minds!
For some of us, the ultimateaishlies in acquiring degrees, higher education, and knowledge. For you aunty, it may lie in leading a relaxed life at home. But hey, you dont see us judging you for it, do you? To each her own.
This is a common refrain heard on family WhatsApp groups, where forwarded messages about select women achieving big landmarks are expected to explain away the centuries of patriarchy we have been subjected to. Because logic is justtamasha.
This is some new-age feminist mutation where women are allowed to drink in gatherings, but only when men arent around. But dont worry. If you see a man eyeing your glass, cover it with a napkin, and your whisky will turn to Coke.
I wonder where this perception of wine being a womans drink comes from. Is it the wine glass that incidentally resembles female curves? Is it the low alcohol content in wine? Or is it simply just male insecurity?
It has taken us women a long time to get comfortable with our bodies, and were now at a stage where we are accepting them with love, hair or no hair. (And sometimes were just lazy to shave our arms, so please dont nag.)
Wait, you like less hair on my arms, but more hair on my head? In PM Modis words, hypocrisyki bhi seema hoti hai.
Offer to take whoever tells you this to the tailor with you the next time youre getting a blouse made, so they can correspond the length of the blouses back with their desired level ofsanskaarand mark it for you.
Right, and youre running the country from this drawing room, yeah? YOU go make me a sandwich this time.
If there are people I trust with all my life, its my girl gang that is at this point practically trained in the craft of looking out for me no matter what. Theyre the Shera to my Salman Khan.
Um should I just go alone then?
Just confirming that first point about the shade card.
There are millions of other things that I dont know how to do at 20. I dont know how to deep-sea dive, or how to milk a cow, or how to find a vaccine for coronavirus. Why are you singling outroti-making?
Sex before marriage? Haw! But its not just relatives who say this. Gynaecologists often morally police women during their check-ups, frowning at those who say they engage in consensual sex. Were literally shelling out money to tell them this, why do they even have a problem?
Because hymenaurat ka gehna hota hai.(Well,sharamand hymen both.)
Okay, first of all, bras are among the most expensive pieces of clothing we wear. Secondly, were expected to spend a bomb on it and then hide it like it doesnt exist? No thanks, my cute bra strap deserves to feel seen by the world.
By that logic, everything that doesnt show doesnt exist, right? Great, looks like weve found a way to deal with COVID-19.
Maintaining this facade of women as demure beings who shouldnt talk, laugh, or basically draw attention in any way in public is what has held back women for decades now.
It so happens that I have the privilege of a wide wardrobe that lends me choices ranging from kurtas to crop tops that I have bought and will wear. And I know youll judge me for either, so why should I care? (That rhymed.)
No, repeat after me: healthy humans dont smoke.
What about the girl who came after me wearing a salwar-kameez who was covered top to bottom but was also catcalled as I was? Should she have also expected it?
Oh aunty, where do I begin? Isnt your nose already too deep into my business for you to be stalking every single picture I upload on Instagram?
Whats an easy way to tell people that office spaces have been essentially designed according to mens physical needs, and that they must accommodate womens needs into it without drawing a false correlation to equal pay, which is a wholly different issue?
Parents, understand this. Some houseplants can survive indoors, while some need the outdoors to live, breathe, stretch their tendrils as wide as they like. That doesnt mean youll love either of them any more or less, right?
Im willing to sacrifice your misplacedizzatin a second if it translates into more harassers behind bars and a stronger #MeToo movement.
Maybe, maybe not. Does it matter?
The only price for a woman to be working in an all-male environment should be the salary she is getting for her work, as her colleagues are. Remaining silent when harassed wasnt on the job profile, and neither should it be. Call it out.
The fact that I have to be thankful to someone who has to still allow me to work reminds me of the disadvantage my gender is at, and is so humbling that it automatically prevents any chances of me flying. Thank you, dear relative, for cutting my wings off.
I wonder how men have managed to sustain themselves all these centuries through evolution if even something as essential (and easy, might I add) as fetching water is supposed to be enough to dent their privileged egos. Next time, tell your brother to get the water to increase his chances of evolutionary survival.
Elders, even if I dont post pictures in revealing clothes online, the ones who are bent on making it dirty have Photoshop editing tools at their disposal. They wont lose time in trading my sweatshirt for a bikini if they wished to.
Aunty, if being middle-class has taught me anything its that it is a must to use every single possession I own down to the last drop of its monetary value. So you best believe if I have a voice with opinions, I will use it to its full worth.
For a country that is obsessed with flashing henna tattoos on the most visible parts of the body, from forearms to legs, people sure do hate ink tattoos for some wild reason.
Get this, there is no one way to look beautiful. Every single body standard you know of is absolutely false, arbitrary, and unfair. Your muscles know this, because they dont know or see gender before popping up after you work to build them.
Not every boy I post a picture with is a boyfriend. Sure, he is a boy friend. Also, why we whispering fam?
Views expressed are the authors own.
Here is the original post:
- Covid: Southend beautician fined after police discover her working | Echo - Echo - February 20th, 2021
- Thanks to Rawiri Waititi, Wearing a Tie Is Now Optional in New Zealands Parliament - Teen Vogue - February 13th, 2021
- I talk about Botox as a gateway drug: the changing face of the beauty business - Sydney Morning Herald - February 13th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 13th, 2021
- Summerside, P.E.I. woman competing to be Inked Magazine cover girl - The Journal Pioneer - February 10th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Man arrested after drugging and tattooing four sex slaves with his name before forcing them into prost - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Capitol Riot Prompts A Reckoning Over Extremism In The Ranks - NPR - February 10th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Brisbane sex slave ring accused face court over allegations of prostitution - 7NEWS.com.au - February 6th, 2021
- ED'S DESK: Bogan Evil-Doers With Tenuous Links To Ivan Milat Thrill Court Watchers With 'Matching White Forensic Jumpsuits' And 'Forlorn Expressions'... - February 4th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 30th, 2021
- Face tattoos give Indigenous woman a chance to reclaim traditional form of self-expression - CBC.ca - January 24th, 2021
- Dustin Poiriers 27 tattoos and their meanings after getting his first aged 14 ahead of UFC fight with Conor M - The Irish Sun - January 24th, 2021
- Holly Willoughby winces in horror as UKs most tattooed woman reveals inking in intimate area on This Morni - The Sun - January 20th, 2021
- The mum looking to fully cover her body in tattoos by the time she is 40 - Lancs Live - January 20th, 2021
- Cape Cod people of color have renewed hope with Biden-Harris inauguration - Cape Cod Times - January 20th, 2021
- Why the far-right and white supremecists have embraced the Middle Ages and their symbols - The Conversation AU - January 15th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 9th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 5th, 2021
- Walker's Point women-led tattoo shop spends grand opening giving away proceeds to charity - WTMJ-TV - January 5th, 2021
- Women Get Tattoos of Stefon Diggs Name on Their Bodies, But He Doesn't Claim Any of Them - BlackSportsOnline - January 5th, 2021
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - December 27th, 2020
- Tattoo artist raped vulnerable client and sexually assaulted five others - Cheshire Live - December 25th, 2020
- 'Depraved' tattoo artist raped woman and sexually assaulted five others while performing work on them - Manchester Evening News - December 23rd, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- Kalie Shorr Is as Bad as She Wants to Be In My Voice Video - Sounds Like Nashville - December 16th, 2020
- The Women Faced Off to Play Soccer. One Team Lost Because of Hair Dye. - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 10th, 2020
- Meet the new couples of '90 Day Fianc' - CNN - December 9th, 2020
- Sunday Funday Moment: Local woman-owned business celebrating 10th anniversary with virtual Loteria party. - KVIA El Paso - November 30th, 2020
- The day my Indian mother confronted me about my tattoo - SBS - November 26th, 2020
- Women and Minorities Value, Perceive, and Experience Professionalism Differently than Their Peers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- I studied 5,000 phone images: objects were more popular than people, but women took way more selfies - The Conversation AU - November 25th, 2020
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals Why She Doesn't Have Any Tattoos - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2020
- Gassed in their cells, begging for food at Auckland Womens prison - RNZ - November 23rd, 2020
- Watch Lindsey Vonn Talk About Tattoos, Body Image, And Her Worst Injury In This 'Body Scan' Video - Women's Health - November 21st, 2020
- Pike River Mine: The women still bonded by tragedy a decade on - Newshub - November 18th, 2020
- OPINION: Tattoos are a way to express creativity - The Daily Evergreen - November 12th, 2020
- Fox Maxy discusses land and Indigenous people in his films - Daily Northwestern - November 12th, 2020
- Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. says to reach out to hear veterans stories at Madison County, NY Veterans Day ceremony - Utica Observer Dispatch - November 12th, 2020
- 50 Best Hand Tattoos For Women - Inspiration From Rihanna To Cara - elle.com - November 12th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 8th, 2020
- Meet the Artist Behind the Lighting Bolt Design That Has Become the Symbol of Womens Rights in an Increasingly Oppressive Poland - artnet News - November 5th, 2020
- Body of woman dumped in Inanda who had her throat slit and hands chopped off yet to be identified - Independent Online - November 5th, 2020
- 65 Cute Small Tattoos For Women: Tiny Tattoo Ideas (2020 ... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoos For Women An Ultimate Guide to Tattoo Beauty - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artist Teamed Up with Local Print Shop to Help Raise Money for Charities that Support Black Lives Matter During Ongoing Pandemic - Printing... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artists of Color on Working With Dark Skin - Allure - November 4th, 2020
- Sean Connery: Why women loved this James Bond - THE WEEK - November 1st, 2020
- 6 Women Share the Tattoos Inspired By Their Breast Cancer Diagnosis - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 31st, 2020
- Carla Was Diagnosed with Breast Cancer So were Her Sisters and Daughters in Remarkable Case of 'Family History' - Baptist Health South Florida - October 28th, 2020
- Death-Defying Shotzi Blackheart Is a Perfect Choice to Revive the Beloved Halloween Havoc - Sports Illustrated - October 28th, 2020
- Diagnosed with Breast Cancer? Answers to Common Questions About Radiation - Chicago Health - October 28th, 2020
- 14 Incredibly Inspiring Breast Cancer Tattoos - Prevention.com - October 24th, 2020
- Watch Jordyn Woods Talk About Her 17 Piercings And 8 Tattoos In This New Video - Women's Health - October 22nd, 2020
- Think twice before getting that tattoo: It can cause your body to overheat - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Breast reconstruction: Are 3D nipple tattoos right for you? - Baylor College of Medicine News - October 22nd, 2020
- How COVID-19 changed the tattoo industry. - Newcity Design - October 22nd, 2020
- The Vow Season 2: What Happened to Keith Raniere, Allison Mack, and More NXIVM Key Players - Fort Leavenworth Lamp - October 19th, 2020
- 'I get a charge out of helping people': Breast cancer survivor finds way to give back to others - The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News &... - October 17th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- The Link Between the Disappearances of Two North Texas African American Women - Local Profile - October 16th, 2020
- 'Trick-or-Treat from 6 Feet' offers fun way to give out Halloween candy - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 16th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- Far-flung face of poverty fight - Chinadaily.com.cn - Chinadaily USA - October 10th, 2020
- Woman testifies about talk of sex, witchcraft and killing during relationship with Trail, Boswell - KOLN - October 8th, 2020
- Erin Andrews Is Learning to Be Patient! - Greenwich Time - October 8th, 2020
- Fans are shocked to see Chris Evans' torso covered in tattoos in a video of him backflipping into a pool - Business Insider India - October 8th, 2020
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Tattoos aiding in recovery - NBC Right Now - October 8th, 2020
- Peter Andre shows off his scarred face for new film role with co-star Fredi Nwaka - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Man arrested in Camden deaths of woman, her son; search led to California - Arkansas Online - October 8th, 2020
- It was a cultural reset: A short history of the ABG aesthetic - i-D - October 8th, 2020
- The taboo around tattoos - The Aquinian - October 5th, 2020
- Keeping Up With The Alumni: Featuring Liz Hogan - Sports Illustrated - October 4th, 2020
- 25 Popular Forearm Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 2nd, 2020
- Dunedin tattoo artist helps guide transition for breast cancer survivors - Tampa Bay Newspapers - October 2nd, 2020
- Does Taylor Swift Have Any Tattoos? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 2nd, 2020