Paper jam. Ink low. Driver error. Home printers are one of those products you perhaps mainly notice when something goes wrong. But as the Covid-19 pandemic hit the UK earlier this year and people began stocking up on lockdown essentials, the home printer found itself newly appreciated alongside other must-have items such as loo roll and baking supplies.
From April onwards, when we went into this sort of lockdown, there was a huge surge in demand for printers at home, says Phil Jones, UK managing director of Brother, which makes home and office printers among other devices. From around April to June, Jones says, Brother saw a surge of 30 per cent in sales of its mono laser printers, and 42 per cent in sales of colour laser printers. Judging by the price point and size of the models, he adds, it is highly likely these ended up in a home environment.
Other printer manufacturers tell similar stories. Weve been rushed off our feet trying to keep up with the spike that we saw, certainly at the beginning of lockdown, says Alice Ramsden De Gmez, product manager at Epson UK. Google Trends shows a sharp rise in UK search interest for the term printer in late March, with search queries remaining higher than last year.
One obvious cause for the sudden increase in interest is the pivot to work-from-home: banished from the office, people who needed access to a printer for work may have rushed to buy one. Another major factor, says Gary Tierney, HPs UK & Ireland print lead, is home-schooling, with parents wanting to print out handouts and worksheets to educate their children, or simply keep them entertained away from the screen.
For Tierney, the surge shows the enduring importance of the printed page, even in an increasingly digital world. The shift to work-from-home and learn-from-home, and the impact of the pandemic, has pretty much changed everything and for us, certainly shone a light on how essential print is in that new world, he says.
As soon as we've been able to get printing stock, it's sold, says Ed Connolly, chief commercial officer of Dixons Carphone. And it hasnt just been printers; overall, Connolly says, sales of peripherals including printers but also things like headsets and webcams are up 460 per cent year-on-year, with all pricing segments, from entry level to prosumer, seeing growth. Sales of small-screen TVs also grew people were using them as second monitors in their home-office setup.
Fulfilling the increased demand for printing goods posed a challenge, with supply chains affected by the pandemic and stock sometimes hard to come by. Ramsden De Gmez says Epson has had to be agile in terms of ramping up production in different regions and diverting stock to where it was needed.
Jones says that Brother was actually better prepared for a UK surge in demand than it otherwise might have been owing to Brexit preparations. Uncertainty over how Brexit might affect supply led the company to build up its warehouse. So we were carrying a little more stock than we might normally carry, which actually went to our benefit, he says. With interest levelling off, but still higher than usual, Brother is working to meet pent-up demand, with some printers out of stock.
In terms of the models and features people are most interested in, the printer makers reported increased interest in all-in-one models that offer scanning and copying as well as printing. Tierney says that form factor is increasingly important, with customers wanting models with a smaller footprint, such as HPs Deskjet 3700, which claims to be the worlds smallest all-in-one printer.
Wi-Fi connectivity is now almost considered the default, says Jones, with users wanting to be able to connect wirelessly and print from all of their devices, including smartphones. One thing that surprised him was a spike in interest in A3-capability, which he thinks may be down to home-learning applications.
Ramsden de Gmez sympathises with the frustration of printer errors, but says that the technology has become a lot more reliable compared to the early days of home printing. She also thinks that people are now more willing to invest more in quality: Its less of a disposable item now, people are thinking how long is this going to last for?
Current innovations are focused on ink, with increased sales of printers that have refillable ink tanks instead of using cartridges (although these still make up a small fraction of the total market). Ink subscriptions are another area that manufacturers see as growing in the future, with customers opting to pay for ink cartridges on a regular basis or get them automatically delivered when the printer is starting to run low. Making print a utility will probably be the trend moving forward for the home environment, so you treat print much like you would your energy, Jones says.
Its too early to tell whether the Covid surge in home printing will result in long-term market growth, but meanwhile consumer trends may offer an interesting insight into the changing economy. Connolly says that Dixons Carphone has noted surges in other home goods as people are spending more time at home, including coffee makers and vacuum cleaners. Floor care is through the roof, he says. It just gives us that little window into how people are engaging with tech in a different way and the different requirements that our customers have now.
One intriguing observation from Jones was increased interest in one of Brothers mobile printers, the PJ-773. This is a thermal printer, which prints onto thermochromatic paper and is designed for on-the-go use, for example for home contractors to print invoices or quotes on the spot. Normally Jones would have expected sales of this model to fall off a cliff, what with fewer people visiting in the home, but sales have been strong. We have seen a surge in sales of that little printer, Jones says.
The reason? A couple of years ago Brother realised that its PJ thermal printer range had become a favourite in another industry: tattoo artists were using it to make stencils of their designs. Jones puts recent demand for that printer down to this use case. Clearly the tattoo artists and the tattoo sector have been very, very busy, he says.
Vicki Turk is WIRED's features editor. She tweets from @VickiTurk
Pee fanatics want to feed the world with your liquid gold
YouTubers are using AI to bring the past to life. Historians arent happy
Irans total internet shutdown is a way to destroy the internet as we know it
Listen to The WIRED Podcast, the week in science, technology and culture, delivered every Friday
Follow WIRED on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn
Get WIRED Daily, your no-nonsense briefing on all the biggest stories in technology, business and science. In your inbox every weekday at 12pm UK time.
Thank You. You have successfully subscribed to our newsletter. You will hear from us shortly.
Sorry, you have entered an invalid email. Please refresh and try again.
See original here:
Covid-19 has resurrected the woeful tech of home printers - Wired.co.uk
- Influences and Essentials: DAN LORENZO In His Own Words - OUTBURN ONLINE - Outburn - July 26th, 2021
- Fentanyl Is Wreaking Havoc in Tijuana. Is the Rest of Mexico Next? - VICE - July 26th, 2021
- Home page - American Body Art - Tattoo Supplies Online ... - July 10th, 2021
- Rat City Tat2: "On to the Next Shop" - Westside Seattle - July 10th, 2021
- A Veteran's Journey From Army to Storming the Capitol | Time - TIME - TIME - July 10th, 2021
- The MacIver Weekly Disease Brief: COVID-19 In Wisconsin - MacIverInstitute - July 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021: Global Trends, Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities Analysis and Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The... - June 30th, 2021
- Camp LighterHow New, Compact Gear Makes It Easier Than Ever to Get Outdoors - The Wall Street Journal - June 30th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 30th, 2021
- I'm Sorry To Say That Bonkers Tweet About The Big Rig Driver Who Looks Like Amy Schumer Is A Joke - Jalopnik - June 13th, 2021
- Would the Real Toeflop Please Stand Up? - Texas Monthly - June 1st, 2021
- List of businesses that can operate in containment zones released - Fijivillage - May 20th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 20th, 2021
- Vintage Tattoo owner strives to keep artistry and inclusivity alive - The Reflector online - February 20th, 2021
- Blood drive on March 15th in Hicksville - The Syosset Advance - February 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Forecast in Addition to Top key players like: Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors, and... - February 20th, 2021
- Market Assessment of Tattoo Ink Industry including Top Players like Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors,... - February 17th, 2021
- How River Raids work in Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Gamepur - February 17th, 2021
- Residents Encouraged To Donate Blood At Drive In Hicksville - Patch.com - February 15th, 2021
- Keep it Flowing: Combating COVID-19 Blood Shortages in Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - February 13th, 2021
- Optimistic Growth of Colored Tattoo Inks Market 2021 to High Demand NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 13th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Spray Covers Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends|Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply, Tommys Supplies, , , etc -... - February 8th, 2021
- Report Explained: How COVID-19 Has affected The Tattoo Market? | Survey on Future Scope by 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 8th, 2021
- Last Week in The Sentinel | Local News | sentinelsource.com - The Keene Sentinel - February 6th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 31st, 2021
- Then and Now: A look at Gardner's 'Main' menu - The Gardner News - January 31st, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - January 31st, 2021
- Still Red: Luna County lagging in response to COVID-19 "Red to Green" platform - The Deming Headlight - January 31st, 2021
- Global Tattoo Needles Market by Manufacturers, Types, Regions and Application Research Report Forecast to 2026 The Courier - The Courier - January 27th, 2021
- New Mexico Department Of Health County Map Update: Los Alamos Reaches Yellow Level; Almost Every County Improving In Health Metrics And Suppressing... - January 27th, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2027: Tattoo Goo, Hustle Butter, Ora's Amazing Herbal etc. - KSU | The... - January 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - FLA News - January 15th, 2021
- The Middle East and Africa dermatology treatment devices market is expected to reach US$ 317.68 million in 2027 from US$ 217.01 million in 2019 -... - January 15th, 2021
- McDonald's J Balvin merch line has been canceled due to production challenges, following the wild success of the chain's Travis Scott collab - Markets... - January 12th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Business Opportunities, Survey, Growth Analysis And Industry Outlook | Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommys Supplies, Kuro Sumi... - January 3rd, 2021
- World: Positive news in the difficult year of the pandemic - PRESSENZA International News Agency - January 3rd, 2021
- 32 Counties Operating At Red Level On Department Of Health County Map Including Los Alamos County - Los Alamos Reporter - January 3rd, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market (Europe and US) | What Recent Study Say About Top Companies - NeighborWebSJ - December 27th, 2020
- Market Size, Share and Manufacture covered Globally of Tattoo Market from 2020-2026 - The Monitor - December 27th, 2020
- Global Rotary Tattoo Machines Market 2020 Top Growing Companies Analysis and Segmentation Outlook till 2026 - The Monitor - December 19th, 2020
- Art supply drive for kids to be held Friday - KSNF/KODE - FourStatesHomepage.com - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 18th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 10th, 2020
- Colored Tattoo Inks Market Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,Forecast (2020-2025) - The Courier - December 7th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 7th, 2020
- Yakuza Like A Dragon: Every Playable Character You Can Have in Your Party - TheGamer - November 30th, 2020
- TATSoul - Tattoo Supplies & Furniture - November 25th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2025 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla: 6 things you don't want to miss - CNET - November 20th, 2020
- Ailed Duarte on the unique pressures and pleasures of tattooing in Cuba - Roads and Kingdoms - November 18th, 2020
- Addiction Matters: How a heroin user-turned-hero saved so many others, but not himself - WWLTV.com - November 18th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- Despite pandemic, Bobby Natalini Jr. Blood Drive will continue to build supplies for Red Cross - The Times Herald - November 16th, 2020
- How Art Therapy Helped One Cancer Survivor Manage COVID-19 Lockdown - Curetoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and... - November 10th, 2020
- Governor adds new restrictions on gatherings - Government - vintontoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market 2026: Report Recent Trends and Growth Opportunities by Major Players Cloud Dragon (CN), Wujiang Shenli (CN), Magic Moon... - November 4th, 2020
- WHAT'S BEING PLANNED: McDonald's latest, tattoo parlour on the move and more - Swindon Advertiser - November 1st, 2020
- Incredible Generosity Makes Red Handed Tattoo in Shreveport the Nicest Place in Louisiana - Reader's Digest - November 1st, 2020
- Global Spray Covers Industry Statistics & Forecast to 2026 | Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply - re:Jerusalem - October 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Tattoo Machine Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra, Worldwide Tattoo Supply,... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market by technology, solutions, application, price, demand analysis and growth opportunities to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study... - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market Size, Production, Consumption, Export and Import, Growth Rate and Price Analysis by Types and Applications, Forecast to 2025 -... - October 14th, 2020
- Kern County could move to next tier, how industries are preparing - KERO 23ABC News - October 14th, 2020
- Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum Partners With Kingpin Tattoo Supplies For #SupportYourArtist - BevNET.com - October 10th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Decal Paper Market based on types and application - GroundAlerts.com - October 7th, 2020
- Cuban Tattoo Art and the Challenges Ahead - Havana Times - October 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market 2020 |Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026| Latest Research Report By... - September 30th, 2020
- Women tattoo artists make mark on industry in Boulder County - Longmont Times-Call - September 30th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market: 2020 Global Industry Size Share, Regional Analysis, End Users, Growth Insights, Top Key Players and Forecast To 2026 -... - September 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Tattoo Ink Market Analysis by Recent Trends and Growth by Region 2020| Intenze Tattoo Ink, Alla Prima, Kuro Sumi - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Latest Research Report on Tattoo Ink Market To Exhibit Impressive Growth By 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 23rd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market research gain impetus due to the growing demand over (2020 2027) - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market Size, Type Analysis, Application Analysis, End-Use, Industry COVID-19 Impact on Analysis, Regions, Trends, Competitive Strategies... - September 22nd, 2020
- UL's Devon Pauley helping Cajuns make historic strides, while thoughts always with Lake Charles - The Advocate - September 22nd, 2020
- In Place of Police: The Oregon Experiment | by Krithika Varagur - The New York Review of Books - September 18th, 2020
- Restaurants, retail stores and office buildings will now be able to operate at 75 percent capacity - The Light and Champion - September 18th, 2020