At Worcesters Beauty Avenue Aesthetics, owner Ale Przemielewski and artist Liz Grace have a passion project amplified by the fact that October is breast cancer awareness month.
Przemielewski and Grace want to help breast cancer survivors in their recovery. The beauty artists are trained to offer 3D areola tattoos, a service that they say can make a huge impact in self-image for women who have had a mastectomy.
I feel like when women have lost their nipple, they have lost a sense of who they were in the past, Przemielewski said.
Przemielewski met Grace when they were both in training to learn about the 3D breast cancer tattooing, which is also called micropigmentation. Przemielewski was drawn to the service because of family history with breast cancer and an opportunity to bring something remarkable to her studio, where she puts a focus on inner beauty.
Grace was drawn to the chance to help women close the door on cancer and open up to a new beginning.
I just really wanted to make women feel whole again after their journey throughout breast cancer and make them feel beautiful inside and out, Grace said.
What makes the tattoo 3D is coloring, shading and highlights. Visually, the tattoo looks like a realistic, raised areola and nipple. But to the touch, its just a flat tattoo.
While training together at Prettyology in Boston under artist Vicky Martin, Przemielewski and Grace learned that its hard to find breast cancer survivors who need the service. Though breast cancer is common - each year in the United States, about 250,000 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in women and about 2,300 in men, according to the CDC - it seems that many dont know that a 3D areola tattoo is an option for survivors, Przemielewski said.
Even in the age of social media, where information is accessible at the touch of a fingertip, artists run into roadblocks trying to advertise the service. Przemielewski has tried to post online, including images of a breast mold with an areola tattoo, but social media platforms often flag or block such images even though it is just a permanent makeup drawing and not an actual body part.
The challenge in connecting with survivors is frustrating to Przemielewski and Grace, who saw the significance the service had for women they tattooed during training. Grace said faces in the room would be filled with happy tears.
In class when we got to tattoo, and they got to see themselves again, it was something like we never experienced before," Przemielewski said. "They went back to their healthy self before they discovered the breast cancer. So that for me was very touching personally.
Though they offer the 3D tattoo, so far, no one has come into Beauty Avenue Aesthetics for the service.
We know that we can do this. We know that we can change peoples lives, but its just finding people to come in, Przemielewski said. I know theres women out there that dont know about this.
At Beauty Avenue Aesthetics, Ale Przemielewski and artist Liz Grace offer 3D areola tattoos for breast cancer survivors.
Przemielewski opened Beauty Avenue Aesthetics at 1 Kelley Square in the Canal District earlier this year, offering services for men and women including hydro facials, lashes, permanent makeup and makeup for weddings and more.
The vision for Beauty Avenue, Przemielewski said, is not just about whats on the outside, but helping women feel confident and beautiful on the inside. Its part of the reason shes so passionate about the breast tattoo.
I would love if this service can be part of the recovery, the new chapter, she said.
It takes about three hours to complete the tattoo and numbing cream is used to take away any sensation. Grace said the tattoo is usually painless for women and they can match all different skin tones.
Working with the women who had a lot of big scars, the first thing they said was can you cover my scars," Przemielewski recalled. The second this went on, nobody looks at the scars.
The service starts at $800 and depends on if women need a lateral or bi-lateral tattoo. Przemielewski said she believes some insurances may cover some of the cost, but that she is still researching what coverage or vouchers are available to survivors.
People will drive, two, three hours, Jersey, New York, for this service, so why not be local. That, to me, is crucial, Przemielewski said.
At Beauty Avenue Aesthetics, Ale Przemielewski and artist Liz Grace offer 3D areola tattoos for breast cancer survivors.
Read this article:
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020
- Katie Price admits she always kept a backup man on the side after ex-husband Kieran Hayler cheated on her - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Was the German unity celebrated Oct. 3 a good or a bad thing? - People's World - October 7th, 2020
- 'It hurts': Workers grapple with the mental impacts of Alberta's recession - WellandTribune.ca - October 4th, 2020
- 'I don't over think it' - Tarrus Riley on image, masculinity and music - Jamaica Gleaner - October 4th, 2020
- Preying on the Vulnerable: Half of Trafficked Women and Girls Are Immigrants - WTTW News - October 4th, 2020
- Chaplain Norris Burkes: Who's your BFF? - The Union of Grass Valley - October 2nd, 2020
- These are the internet's favorite memes from the first presidential debate of 2020 - NBC News - October 2nd, 2020
- New exhibition: 'Ink in the Lines': the art and meaning of military tattoos - Australian Photography - October 2nd, 2020
- DAWN Describes His Childhood, Relationship With HyunA, Meaning Of His Tattoos, And More - soompi - October 2nd, 2020
- How one man spent 34 years in prison after setting fire to a pair of curtains - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says she's getting boyfriend Carl Woods' face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dating - Brinkwire - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump's election spurred B.C. painter David A. Haughton to focus on evil - Straight.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Bleak Resonance of 'Native Son' | by Gary Younge - The New York Review of Books - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says shes getting boyfriend Carl Woods face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dat - The Sun - September 30th, 2020
- Will Smith Might Be a Superstar but He's Not Good at Everything, According To a Former Co-Star - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys? - Quartz - September 30th, 2020
- Man wanted in Toronto assault that left victim seriously injured: police - Global News - September 30th, 2020
- British Post-Punk Band Idles Are Throwing a Revolution, and Everyone's Invited - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2020
- 'Men get breast cancer too' | Ohio daughters raising awareness about breast cancer in men in honor of their father - WTOL - September 22nd, 2020
- Day 20: If You Live In The Rural West, You Better Fit The Part - KUNR Public Radio - September 22nd, 2020
- 15 Meaningful Dream Catcher Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - September 20th, 2020
- Men ghost me on dating apps when I tell them Im autistic I just want to be accepted - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- Five Guys a Week, review: irresistibly voyeuristic dating show adheres perfectly to lockdown rules - Telegraph.co.uk - September 20th, 2020
- Final Fantasy XVI: 3 things you might have missed in the trailer - RPG Site - September 20th, 2020
- Miller & Carter turn away two men because their 'chavvy' outfits breach dress code - Somerset Live - September 18th, 2020
- London crime: The faces of 5 men wanted over drugs and firearms offences - My London - September 16th, 2020
- Central American refugees stopped by Trump, then by pandemic - Herald-Whig - September 16th, 2020
- Baltimore murder suspects protected by sanctuary laws, ICE says; 'This is the worst-case scenario' - Fox News - September 16th, 2020
- Pepe the Frog Mutates from a Far Right Meme Into a Lovable, Far Gone Figure in Feels Good Man - The Texas Observer - September 16th, 2020
- Wait, The 'If I Go Missing' Kit From 'A.P. Bio' On Peacock Is A Real, Law Enforcement-Recommended Thing? - Oxygen - September 16th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Online Athens - September 16th, 2020
- The faces of the 7 most wanted men in the North West - Lancs Live - September 12th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Savannah Morning News - September 12th, 2020
- Fourteen Martyrs in the Struggle Against Racist Terror and Trumpism-Fascism - CounterPunch - September 12th, 2020
- De'Andre Asbury-Heath Is a Baseball Pro and a New Contestant on 'Love Island USA' - Distractify - September 12th, 2020
- The Advice Goddess - Argonaut Online - September 9th, 2020
- Forsberg: Is Theis the best bang-for-your-buck contract in NBA? - Comcast SportsNet New England - September 9th, 2020
- Nowadays, Body Inclusivity Sells, and Brands Will Ignore It at Their Peril - Study Breaks - September 9th, 2020
- 31 Extra-Special Ways You Described Your Sexual Orientation on the 2020 Reader Survey - Autostraddle - September 9th, 2020
- Post Malone on how face tattoos and Supreme drops inspired his wine empire - British GQ - September 7th, 2020
- Model falls in love with childhood sweetheart after 30 years when pal picks him out for her on app - Wales Online - September 7th, 2020
- In the near future, what will restaurant adventures look like? Choose your own. - Kansas City Pitch - September 7th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Massillon Independent - September 6th, 2020
- Whatever Happened To ... The Heavy Metal Mongolian Band Called The Hu? - KPCW - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - Belfast Live - September 6th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Suburbanite - September 6th, 2020
- A hero in the recovery community laid to rest - Concord Monitor - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - MyLondon - September 6th, 2020
- Thieves Steal Firearms from Gun Show in Morgantown - Berks Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit - The Free Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Behind the Ink: Tattoo Culture at Yale-NUS College - The Octant - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Star's boyfriend Andre Marhold's Baby Mommy Responds To their Relationship - Dankanator - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Simcoe Reformer - September 4th, 2020
- Childhood Sweethearts Fall In Love 30 Years Later Thanks To App - Comic Sands - September 4th, 2020
- Katie Price feared shed die or lose both legs in horror fall as traumatised star reveals shes back at The - The Sun - September 4th, 2020
- I used to enforce the NCAAs exploitation of college athletes; now I fight for the players - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- "My property": Abuser forced girlfriend to have tattoos of his name all over her body - Yahoo Sports - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Stars New Boyfriend Told His Babys Mother He Was Going On A Work Trip... - Celebrity Insider - September 4th, 2020
- BMW carjackers flee with nothing - after they are spooked by owner's dog - Birmingham Live - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Wetaskiwin Times Advertiser - September 4th, 2020
- Holden showrooms become museums this weekend as the 'iconic' car brand is farewelled across Tasmania - ABC News - September 4th, 2020
- The 74 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men | Improb - September 2nd, 2020
- The 140 Best Shoulder Tattoo Designs for Men (2020 ... - September 2nd, 2020
- 108 Best Badass Tattoos for Men | Improb - September 2nd, 2020