CAMDEN -- A fugitive suspect in a double slaying who has lived in hotels in the outskirts of Los Angeles for the past five months under a stolen identity will be driven back to Arkansas by local police as soon as California authorities clear him to be extradited, law enforcement officials said Tuesday.
After a brief chase, the U.S. Marshals Service apprehended Jory John Worthen on Monday at a motel where he had been staying in Burbank, Calif., Camden Police Chief Boyd Woody said during a news conference Tuesday.
[Video not showing up above? Click here to view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmsZhiAm2l4%5D
Camden police say Worthen, 25, is the main suspect in the June 2019 deaths of his girlfriend, Alyssa Cannon, and her son, Braydon Ponder. Their bodies were found on June 25, 2019, in Cannon's home, several days after police say the killings occurred.
Police discovered the bodies after Cannon's family reported her missing. Officers declined to provide details on how the victims died.
Cannon was 20. Her son was 4.
Worthen was placed on the Marshals Service's 15-most-wanted list in July.
"I did speak to one of the officers who was involved with his apprehension, and he did say that when they confronted Worthen at the motel, he did give them a brief foot chase, and, at one point, he even climbed the roofs of some houses," Woody said.
In a photo provided to Camden police by the U.S. Marshals, Worthen can be seen with a torn shirt and bloodied knees.
[Gallery not loading above? Click here for more photos arkansasonline.com/107joryworthen/]
He was medically cleared, then taken to the Los Angeles County jail, the police chief said, adding that he believes Worthen was unarmed when he was arrested.
Worthen is being charged with two counts of capital murder.
"He will have to go in front of a judge in California for a hearing there and will be extradited back to Camden," Woody said. "There is no time frame on it yet. The day he is signed over, we will go get him."
Once back in Arkansas, Worthen will be held in the Ouachita County jail, Woody said.
Worthen lived alone in the motel and did not have a job, Woody said, adding that he used an assumed name, Ronald Kleigler. It is unclear whether anyone was helping him.
"We won't know if someone was helping him until we get him back here with all of his property, then we can determine that," Woody said. "There could be additional charges if we find out someone was aiding him with the knowledge he was a fugitive."
Camden police identified Worthen from photographs showing his tattoos. Worthen later confirmed his identity to California law enforcement, Woody said.
Police said they hope Worthen's personal effects will reveal where he has been since the slayings. They said the first sign of Worthen was when the victim's car was found in Seattle, Wash. They believe he drove it there, ditched it and fled.
Police said they had considered that he might have died by suicide. Over the past 16 months, they said they received tips across the country of possible sightings. A note was left pertaining to the slayings, however police declined to elaborate on its contents.
"There was a lot of speculation that Worthen had killed himself," Woody said. "We would never give up here until we had him physically, whether his remains or alive. We would not give up until we had that."
"This is not over for us," Woody said. "We still have a case to pursue."
It is a case that has taken a toll.
During interviews, Lt. LaRhonda Moore, the chief investigator for the murders, broke down in tears several times. She said she was with Cannon's family members in 2019 when her colleagues informed her they had discovered the bodies.
"I had to take every ounce of breath that I had not to just completely break down in front of the family," Moore said. "I had to hold my composure."
[DOCUMENT: Order of protection affidavit arkansasonline.com/107protection/]
"Sometimes it has just been really hard to gather myself so much," she said. "I was not going to give up, not until we got him."
"It has been so hard."
Moore said she has responded to every tip the Camden Police Department has received about Worthen's possible whereabouts.
"There has not been a day that has gone by that I have not made a phone call, have not looked at records, have not sent an email," she said. "It seemed like he was just a complete ghost."
Worthen has a history of domestic violence, according to court filings.
In October 2017, he was arrested and appeared in court for domestic battery and terroristic threatening against his girlfriend who, that same month, filed for an order of protection against Worthen.
In an affidavit, filed Oct. 19, 2017, Cannon described Worthen as becoming "more controlling and possessive."
Cannon cited one incident at her place of work where Worthen attacked her, pulling her hair and hitting her. She wrote that he threatened to kill her "by driving me down a dirt road and slicing my throat and killing himself."
"This is not the first time he has threatened to kill me," Cannon wrote.
[DOCUMENT: Final order of protection arkansasonline.com/107order/]
"He was always controlling where I went, what I did, what I wore, who I talked to, and controlled my money," she wrote. "I'm scared to be by myself, scared to be out in public."
Nearly half of female victims of homicide are killed by a current or former male intimate partner, according to a 2017 study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of the 3,519 girls and women who were victims of homicide in 2015, nearly half were killed by male intimate partners, the study found.
"Could we have done more? I don't know. We always say or think we could have done more," Moore, the chief investigator, said. "In a domestic situation, you think everyone could have done more, especially if it ends as tragic as this incident."
CORRECTION: LaRhonda Moore is a lieutenant with the Camden Police Department. An earlier version of this article incorrectly spelled her first name.
- Covid: Southend beautician fined after police discover her working | Echo - Echo - February 20th, 2021
- Thanks to Rawiri Waititi, Wearing a Tie Is Now Optional in New Zealands Parliament - Teen Vogue - February 13th, 2021
- I talk about Botox as a gateway drug: the changing face of the beauty business - Sydney Morning Herald - February 13th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 13th, 2021
- Summerside, P.E.I. woman competing to be Inked Magazine cover girl - The Journal Pioneer - February 10th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Man arrested after drugging and tattooing four sex slaves with his name before forcing them into prost - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Capitol Riot Prompts A Reckoning Over Extremism In The Ranks - NPR - February 10th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Brisbane sex slave ring accused face court over allegations of prostitution - 7NEWS.com.au - February 6th, 2021
- ED'S DESK: Bogan Evil-Doers With Tenuous Links To Ivan Milat Thrill Court Watchers With 'Matching White Forensic Jumpsuits' And 'Forlorn Expressions'... - February 4th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 30th, 2021
- Face tattoos give Indigenous woman a chance to reclaim traditional form of self-expression - CBC.ca - January 24th, 2021
- Dustin Poiriers 27 tattoos and their meanings after getting his first aged 14 ahead of UFC fight with Conor M - The Irish Sun - January 24th, 2021
- Holly Willoughby winces in horror as UKs most tattooed woman reveals inking in intimate area on This Morni - The Sun - January 20th, 2021
- The mum looking to fully cover her body in tattoos by the time she is 40 - Lancs Live - January 20th, 2021
- Cape Cod people of color have renewed hope with Biden-Harris inauguration - Cape Cod Times - January 20th, 2021
- Why the far-right and white supremecists have embraced the Middle Ages and their symbols - The Conversation AU - January 15th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 9th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 5th, 2021
- Walker's Point women-led tattoo shop spends grand opening giving away proceeds to charity - WTMJ-TV - January 5th, 2021
- Women Get Tattoos of Stefon Diggs Name on Their Bodies, But He Doesn't Claim Any of Them - BlackSportsOnline - January 5th, 2021
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - December 27th, 2020
- Tattoo artist raped vulnerable client and sexually assaulted five others - Cheshire Live - December 25th, 2020
- 'Depraved' tattoo artist raped woman and sexually assaulted five others while performing work on them - Manchester Evening News - December 23rd, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- Kalie Shorr Is as Bad as She Wants to Be In My Voice Video - Sounds Like Nashville - December 16th, 2020
- The Women Faced Off to Play Soccer. One Team Lost Because of Hair Dye. - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 10th, 2020
- Meet the new couples of '90 Day Fianc' - CNN - December 9th, 2020
- Sunday Funday Moment: Local woman-owned business celebrating 10th anniversary with virtual Loteria party. - KVIA El Paso - November 30th, 2020
- The day my Indian mother confronted me about my tattoo - SBS - November 26th, 2020
- Women and Minorities Value, Perceive, and Experience Professionalism Differently than Their Peers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- I studied 5,000 phone images: objects were more popular than people, but women took way more selfies - The Conversation AU - November 25th, 2020
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals Why She Doesn't Have Any Tattoos - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2020
- Gassed in their cells, begging for food at Auckland Womens prison - RNZ - November 23rd, 2020
- Watch Lindsey Vonn Talk About Tattoos, Body Image, And Her Worst Injury In This 'Body Scan' Video - Women's Health - November 21st, 2020
- Pike River Mine: The women still bonded by tragedy a decade on - Newshub - November 18th, 2020
- OPINION: Tattoos are a way to express creativity - The Daily Evergreen - November 12th, 2020
- Fox Maxy discusses land and Indigenous people in his films - Daily Northwestern - November 12th, 2020
- Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. says to reach out to hear veterans stories at Madison County, NY Veterans Day ceremony - Utica Observer Dispatch - November 12th, 2020
- 50 Best Hand Tattoos For Women - Inspiration From Rihanna To Cara - elle.com - November 12th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 8th, 2020
- Meet the Artist Behind the Lighting Bolt Design That Has Become the Symbol of Womens Rights in an Increasingly Oppressive Poland - artnet News - November 5th, 2020
- Body of woman dumped in Inanda who had her throat slit and hands chopped off yet to be identified - Independent Online - November 5th, 2020
- 65 Cute Small Tattoos For Women: Tiny Tattoo Ideas (2020 ... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoos For Women An Ultimate Guide to Tattoo Beauty - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artist Teamed Up with Local Print Shop to Help Raise Money for Charities that Support Black Lives Matter During Ongoing Pandemic - Printing... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artists of Color on Working With Dark Skin - Allure - November 4th, 2020
- Sean Connery: Why women loved this James Bond - THE WEEK - November 1st, 2020
- 6 Women Share the Tattoos Inspired By Their Breast Cancer Diagnosis - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 31st, 2020
- Carla Was Diagnosed with Breast Cancer So were Her Sisters and Daughters in Remarkable Case of 'Family History' - Baptist Health South Florida - October 28th, 2020
- Death-Defying Shotzi Blackheart Is a Perfect Choice to Revive the Beloved Halloween Havoc - Sports Illustrated - October 28th, 2020
- Diagnosed with Breast Cancer? Answers to Common Questions About Radiation - Chicago Health - October 28th, 2020
- 14 Incredibly Inspiring Breast Cancer Tattoos - Prevention.com - October 24th, 2020
- Watch Jordyn Woods Talk About Her 17 Piercings And 8 Tattoos In This New Video - Women's Health - October 22nd, 2020
- Think twice before getting that tattoo: It can cause your body to overheat - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Breast reconstruction: Are 3D nipple tattoos right for you? - Baylor College of Medicine News - October 22nd, 2020
- How COVID-19 changed the tattoo industry. - Newcity Design - October 22nd, 2020
- The Vow Season 2: What Happened to Keith Raniere, Allison Mack, and More NXIVM Key Players - Fort Leavenworth Lamp - October 19th, 2020
- 'I get a charge out of helping people': Breast cancer survivor finds way to give back to others - The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News &... - October 17th, 2020
- 40 Taunts By Desi Aunties That Make Young Single Women Go WTF - SheThePeople - October 17th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- The Link Between the Disappearances of Two North Texas African American Women - Local Profile - October 16th, 2020
- 'Trick-or-Treat from 6 Feet' offers fun way to give out Halloween candy - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 16th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- Far-flung face of poverty fight - Chinadaily.com.cn - Chinadaily USA - October 10th, 2020
- Woman testifies about talk of sex, witchcraft and killing during relationship with Trail, Boswell - KOLN - October 8th, 2020
- Erin Andrews Is Learning to Be Patient! - Greenwich Time - October 8th, 2020
- Fans are shocked to see Chris Evans' torso covered in tattoos in a video of him backflipping into a pool - Business Insider India - October 8th, 2020
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Tattoos aiding in recovery - NBC Right Now - October 8th, 2020
- Peter Andre shows off his scarred face for new film role with co-star Fredi Nwaka - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- It was a cultural reset: A short history of the ABG aesthetic - i-D - October 8th, 2020
- The taboo around tattoos - The Aquinian - October 5th, 2020
- Keeping Up With The Alumni: Featuring Liz Hogan - Sports Illustrated - October 4th, 2020
- 25 Popular Forearm Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 2nd, 2020
- Dunedin tattoo artist helps guide transition for breast cancer survivors - Tampa Bay Newspapers - October 2nd, 2020
- Does Taylor Swift Have Any Tattoos? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 2nd, 2020