Boston leaders want answers after U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents stopped and questioned a Roslindale man as he jogged in West Roxbury Tuesday afternoon.
Bena Apreala, 29, who is Black, was running on VFW Parkway when two SUVs with tinted windows pulled up, one onto the sidewalk in front of him and the second next to him in the street, he told WBUR.
Three men exited the vehicles, all of whom are white, video recorded by Apreala and posted on Facebook indicates. They started to question him about his identity, but did not identify themselves as law enforcement officers, he told the radio station.
These guys just hopped out in full camouflage uniforms with masks over their face, and stopped me, and told me to immediately identify (myself), he said. I was confused as to whether or not they were even legitimate authority.
Apreala noticed ICE was emblazoned on at least one of the mens badges, and said he was asked to show identification because he matched the description of a suspect, according to WBUR.
When I saw the badge and asked them if they were ICE officers, and they said yes, and I explained that I wasnt an immigrant, Im born and raised in Boston and that I have no idea what theyre stopping me for, they said that immigration isnt the only thing that they investigate and proceeded to question me, Apreala said.
Apreala did not have identification on him as he was jogging but provided the men with his name and address and told them he was a U.S. citizen, WBUR reports.
After Apreala started filming the interaction, the agents allowed him to leave the scene, he said.
The footage, posted Tuesday, shows one of the men asking whether Apreala has any tattoos on your left or right arm, just so we can confirm as he was about to leave.
Am I free to go? Do I have to show you? Apreala is heard saying off-camera. If Im free to go, then Im not showing you anything.
The men dont respond.
Thank you, Apreala says. Have a great day guys.
ICE confirmed to WBUR Wednesday the men involved in the incident were ICE officers looking for a different man but did not provide additional details, according to the station.
Apreala told the news outlet he plans to file a complaint with ICE.
There was a number of families walking down the street, people who were not Black, and they singled me out to stop me, he said.
Boston lawmakers were swift to condemn the interaction, including Mayor Marty Walsh, who told reporters he spoke with Apreala Wednesday morning.
The mayor called the incident unacceptable in so many ways.
In Boston, we believe in the power of community policing and its the important trust between law enforcement and our community to make sure that we ensure public safety for everyone, Walsh said during a press conference on updates to the citys coronavirus pandemic response. Incidents like this have no place in our city, have no place for this in our country, honestly. It causes real pain and fear and concern.
Walsh added that he planned to speak with Apreala again later in the day and that city officials were working to obtain more information about what happened.
Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley called for an immediate investigation into the incident and that ICE must report how many of its agents are on the citys streets, she wrote on Twitter .
For too long, ICE and (Customs and Border Protection) have acted with impunityemboldened by a xenophobic Administration and the Occupant of this White House, Pressley wrote. We will not stand by and watch them intimidate, harass and racially profile our Black and Brown communities in Boston or anywhere in the country.
City Councilor Matt OMalley, who represents West Roxbury, said he often jogs along the parkway himself.
This hits particularly hard, OMalley wrote in a tweet. This unlawful stop was outrageous & unacceptable. Racial profiling should not happen here or anywhere else.
Councilors Michelle Wu and Andrea Campbell, who are both running for Walshs seat in next years election, each called the stop unacceptable.
Boston deserves full transparency about who these men were & how we will ensure this doesnt happen again, Wu wrote on Twitter.
Campbell tweeted, This illegal stop and blatant racial profiling is a harsh reminder that we have ICE agents roaming our streets or people emboldened by a cruel and reckless President targeting Black and Brown residents and putting our lives at risk.
On social media Wednesday afternoon, Senator Elizabeth Warren said her office contacted ICE on Tuesday and asked whether the men who stopped Apreala were ICE agents. She had yet to receive an answer.
People are rightly terrified of ICE & this secrecy only makes things worse, Warren wrote. I expect answers, & our local, state & federal officials do too.
Enable breaking news notifications straight to your internet browser.
Great, youre signed up!
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020
- Katie Price admits she always kept a backup man on the side after ex-husband Kieran Hayler cheated on her - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Was the German unity celebrated Oct. 3 a good or a bad thing? - People's World - October 7th, 2020
- 'It hurts': Workers grapple with the mental impacts of Alberta's recession - WellandTribune.ca - October 4th, 2020
- 'I don't over think it' - Tarrus Riley on image, masculinity and music - Jamaica Gleaner - October 4th, 2020
- Preying on the Vulnerable: Half of Trafficked Women and Girls Are Immigrants - WTTW News - October 4th, 2020
- Chaplain Norris Burkes: Who's your BFF? - The Union of Grass Valley - October 2nd, 2020
- These are the internet's favorite memes from the first presidential debate of 2020 - NBC News - October 2nd, 2020
- New exhibition: 'Ink in the Lines': the art and meaning of military tattoos - Australian Photography - October 2nd, 2020
- DAWN Describes His Childhood, Relationship With HyunA, Meaning Of His Tattoos, And More - soompi - October 2nd, 2020
- How one man spent 34 years in prison after setting fire to a pair of curtains - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says she's getting boyfriend Carl Woods' face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dating - Brinkwire - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump's election spurred B.C. painter David A. Haughton to focus on evil - Straight.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Bleak Resonance of 'Native Son' | by Gary Younge - The New York Review of Books - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says shes getting boyfriend Carl Woods face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dat - The Sun - September 30th, 2020
- Will Smith Might Be a Superstar but He's Not Good at Everything, According To a Former Co-Star - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys? - Quartz - September 30th, 2020
- Man wanted in Toronto assault that left victim seriously injured: police - Global News - September 30th, 2020
- British Post-Punk Band Idles Are Throwing a Revolution, and Everyone's Invited - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2020
- 'Men get breast cancer too' | Ohio daughters raising awareness about breast cancer in men in honor of their father - WTOL - September 22nd, 2020
- Day 20: If You Live In The Rural West, You Better Fit The Part - KUNR Public Radio - September 22nd, 2020
- 15 Meaningful Dream Catcher Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - September 20th, 2020
- Men ghost me on dating apps when I tell them Im autistic I just want to be accepted - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- Five Guys a Week, review: irresistibly voyeuristic dating show adheres perfectly to lockdown rules - Telegraph.co.uk - September 20th, 2020
- Final Fantasy XVI: 3 things you might have missed in the trailer - RPG Site - September 20th, 2020
- Miller & Carter turn away two men because their 'chavvy' outfits breach dress code - Somerset Live - September 18th, 2020
- London crime: The faces of 5 men wanted over drugs and firearms offences - My London - September 16th, 2020
- Central American refugees stopped by Trump, then by pandemic - Herald-Whig - September 16th, 2020
- Baltimore murder suspects protected by sanctuary laws, ICE says; 'This is the worst-case scenario' - Fox News - September 16th, 2020
- Pepe the Frog Mutates from a Far Right Meme Into a Lovable, Far Gone Figure in Feels Good Man - The Texas Observer - September 16th, 2020
- Wait, The 'If I Go Missing' Kit From 'A.P. Bio' On Peacock Is A Real, Law Enforcement-Recommended Thing? - Oxygen - September 16th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Online Athens - September 16th, 2020
- The faces of the 7 most wanted men in the North West - Lancs Live - September 12th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Savannah Morning News - September 12th, 2020
- Fourteen Martyrs in the Struggle Against Racist Terror and Trumpism-Fascism - CounterPunch - September 12th, 2020
- De'Andre Asbury-Heath Is a Baseball Pro and a New Contestant on 'Love Island USA' - Distractify - September 12th, 2020
- The Advice Goddess - Argonaut Online - September 9th, 2020
- Forsberg: Is Theis the best bang-for-your-buck contract in NBA? - Comcast SportsNet New England - September 9th, 2020
- Nowadays, Body Inclusivity Sells, and Brands Will Ignore It at Their Peril - Study Breaks - September 9th, 2020
- 31 Extra-Special Ways You Described Your Sexual Orientation on the 2020 Reader Survey - Autostraddle - September 9th, 2020
- Post Malone on how face tattoos and Supreme drops inspired his wine empire - British GQ - September 7th, 2020
- Model falls in love with childhood sweetheart after 30 years when pal picks him out for her on app - Wales Online - September 7th, 2020
- In the near future, what will restaurant adventures look like? Choose your own. - Kansas City Pitch - September 7th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Massillon Independent - September 6th, 2020
- Whatever Happened To ... The Heavy Metal Mongolian Band Called The Hu? - KPCW - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - Belfast Live - September 6th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Suburbanite - September 6th, 2020
- A hero in the recovery community laid to rest - Concord Monitor - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - MyLondon - September 6th, 2020
- Thieves Steal Firearms from Gun Show in Morgantown - Berks Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit - The Free Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Behind the Ink: Tattoo Culture at Yale-NUS College - The Octant - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Star's boyfriend Andre Marhold's Baby Mommy Responds To their Relationship - Dankanator - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Simcoe Reformer - September 4th, 2020
- Childhood Sweethearts Fall In Love 30 Years Later Thanks To App - Comic Sands - September 4th, 2020
- Katie Price feared shed die or lose both legs in horror fall as traumatised star reveals shes back at The - The Sun - September 4th, 2020
- I used to enforce the NCAAs exploitation of college athletes; now I fight for the players - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- "My property": Abuser forced girlfriend to have tattoos of his name all over her body - Yahoo Sports - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Stars New Boyfriend Told His Babys Mother He Was Going On A Work Trip... - Celebrity Insider - September 4th, 2020
- BMW carjackers flee with nothing - after they are spooked by owner's dog - Birmingham Live - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Wetaskiwin Times Advertiser - September 4th, 2020
- Holden showrooms become museums this weekend as the 'iconic' car brand is farewelled across Tasmania - ABC News - September 4th, 2020
- The 74 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men | Improb - September 2nd, 2020
- The 140 Best Shoulder Tattoo Designs for Men (2020 ... - September 2nd, 2020
- 108 Best Badass Tattoos for Men | Improb - September 2nd, 2020