Thinking about new ink? Tattoos are getting more popular all the time. A 2019 poll found 30% of Americans have at least one tattoo, up from just 21% in 2012.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services.Policy
The majority of those branding sessions go off without a hitch. In most cases, tattoos arent harmful, says dermatologist Alok Vij, MD. But there are some risks you should know about if youre considering a tattoo.
Modern tattoo artists perform their magic with machines that use multiple needles to inject colored pigments into the dermis, the middle layer of skin. Unsurprisingly, that doesnt feel great. Getting a tattoo can be painful, Dr. Vij says.
While the pain is temporary, the artwork is forever. One of the biggest risks is tattoo regret, cautions Dr. Vij. (Sure, theres laser tattoo removal, but its painful, expensive and can take months). Thats why its good to stop and think a minute before you get your new crushs name etched into your skin.
Besides pain and potential regret, there are some possible health risks from tattoos, Dr. Vij says:
The majority of tattoos heal fine without lasting problems, however. These complications are rare, but its good to be aware of the possibility, Dr. Vij says.
Ready to make your mark? Dr. Vij offers these pointers for a smooth (and safe) tattoo experience.
Look for a clean, well-run shop with licensed tattoo artists and sterile equipment. Ask if the artist has experience working on clients with your skin tone, Dr. Vij advises. Pigments can appear different on fair skin versus darker skin, he says.
Never resort to home tattoo kits, even if the person doing it says they have plenty of experience. Permanent body modification isnt the time to cut corners.
Go in with clean skin. And hold off if you have any rashes or infections, Dr. Vij says.
Ibuprofen and aspirin can increase the risk of bleeding, so they arent the best painkillers to choose if youre gearing up to get inked, Dr. Vij says. Instead, reach for acetaminophen, which doesnt carry a risk of bleeding. Alcohol can also increase the bleeding risk (not to mention the risk of tattoo regret), so dont schedule your tattoo after happy hour.
You can expect your new tat to smart a bit the day you get it, but it should feel better over the next few days. Heres how to help the healing process along.
Your tattoo artist should send you home with instructions for caring for your body art. Youll need to keep it covered for 24 hours. Soak the bandage in warm water to soften it before gently peeling it off, Dr. Vij says. Then wash it with a gentle cleanser and warm water to remove scabbing or crusting.
Slather your new tattoo with a thick layer of mild ointment like petroleum jelly, Dr. Vij says. Scabbing and crusting delay healing, so keep it well moisturized.
Some redness, flaking and scabbing are normal as your tattoo heals, Dr. Vij says. But see a doctor if you notice any signs of infection:
Some inks can fade in response to UV light. Sun damage can also weaken the collagen fibers in the dermis, where the pigment is housed. To keep your new artwork looking bright and crisp, coat your tattoo with sunscreen when youre out in the sunshine, Dr. Vij says. (But you were wearing sunscreen anyway, right?)
With the right TLC, your new body art will soon be healed and just another beautiful part of the skin youre in.
Read the original:
- Regretting a tattoo? These are your options when it comes to getting rid of it - Fashion Journal - February 20th, 2021
- Soliton Named Best New Technology Award at the Aesthetic Industry Association Board Meeting - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2021
- Britains most tattooed woman covers half her skin with make-up to show what she looks like without ink - The Sun - February 8th, 2021
- Pure Ink Tattoo Studios - NJ Premier Tattoo Studio - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - February 6th, 2021
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - February 6th, 2021
- Integrity Ink Provides Fast, Effective, and Affordable Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal in Crosby, TX with the Astanza Trinity Laser - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- As Statues Of America's Racist Past Were Removed This Year, So Were Tattoos - NPR - December 31st, 2020
- New tattoo shop open in Torrington - The Torrington Telegram - December 28th, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: Best Season 3 Episodes, According To IMDb - TheThings - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Celebs Who Refuse To Get Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson Is Allegedly Getting All of His Tattoos Removed Details - Allure - December 19th, 2020
- 15 Best Tattoo Removal Creams That Works: 2020 Buyer's Guide - December 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 18th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Machine Market status and outlook: 2021 business development plans by companies, industry trends and restraints, market share and... - December 16th, 2020
- Why Kat Von D Covered Up Her Tattoos - PopCrush - December 16th, 2020
- What you need to know before getting a white tattoo - The Saxon - November 27th, 2020
- S.I. orange zone: This could be the end of my business, says gym owner - silive.com - November 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: These businesses will close if NYC becomes an orange zone - SILive.com - November 20th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2020
- The 'healing' power of tattoos - by artist who says studios are like confession booths - Birmingham Live - November 8th, 2020
- Celebrity tattoos that will inspire you to get inked - Times Now - November 5th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 4th, 2020
- How to Remove Fresh Tattoo Ink from Skin - Tips to remove ... - November 1st, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - November 1st, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal: From Prep to Aftercare, Heres What to Expect - HYPEBAE - October 28th, 2020
- Best Tattoo Removal Treatments NJ | Laser Tattoo Treatment ... - October 21st, 2020
- Non laser Tattoo Removal: The most easy and cost effective way to remove tattoo - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - October 9th, 2020
- Reynolds ink: Why Rabbitohs skipper wants to 'start again' with tats - Sydney Morning Herald - October 8th, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 25th, 2020
- Bizarre: 44-year-old with several body modifications gets his nose removed to look like 'Human Satan' - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - August 26th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - August 26th, 2020
- Tattoo Blowout: Appearance, Treatments, and More - August 26th, 2020
- Hackensack Medical Laser - Tattoo Removal New Jersey - August 26th, 2020
- Best Tattoo Removal NJ: Get Rid of Tattoos Today! - August 26th, 2020
- TikToker gets freckle tattoosand it goes horribly wrong - The Daily Dot - August 20th, 2020
- National Tattoo Removal Day: INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist And Hate Tattoos For Free - Latin Times - August 13th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal Market Rapidly Growing in Healthcare, Competitor Analysis, Complete Study of Current Trends and Forecast 2020-2023 - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - PRNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- Groupons offering free removal to ink fans who have a tattoo of the wrong star sign following Nasas 13th hor - The Sun - July 15th, 2020