A young artists take on the industry
By Paula Henriquez
HAVANA TIMES Theres one thing many Cuban business owners know for sure. Its that there isnt a force thats going to stop them from putting their projects and ideas into action.
Such is the case of young Cuban tattoo artist Maike Roque Zequeira. He is currently working non-stop to get his career on track, a career in a legal limbo in Cuba.
Add on the COVID-19 situation, which not only puts his work in danger, but also his life in society.
Maike is what you call self-employed, like so many other Cubans are. He depends on his work to feed himself; even when his profession is not legally recognized in Cuba. Maike talks to us about this and many other issues. He also recalls his childhood and how he became a tattoo artist.
Where are you from, Maike?
I was born on April 20, 1991 in Guanabacoa, Havana. My memories are vague because I moved to another part of the city when I was 6 years old. I have more vivid memories of this second neighborhood. I used to live in a building in the Chivas neighborhood, where I grew up as a child until I moved to Regla as a teenager.
How would you describe your childhood?
I wasnt one of those kids who used to play out on the street. Out of resignation sometimes, and because I just wasnt interested other times. I preferred to watch TV, draw and those kinds of things. I would burn all of my energy when I visited my cousins or went to spend the weekend at my fathers house. If you were to ask my mother, I think shed tell you that I was quite a calm kid.
What were you most interested in?
I have always liked drawing ever since I was a little boy. My mother used to take me to the cultural center to attend workshops, and its something thats been with me ever since I was 3 or 4 years old, up until now, its something that has stuck with me. This was always my focus and nothing has changed in the present day. I might have moved away from drawing at some point when I was a teenager when I started playing sports, but it wasnt long before I went back to my passion for drawing. As a result, drawing became my dream and mission in life when I finished high school.
But theres quite a journey from drawing to giving someone a tattoo its one thing to draw on a piece of paper, canvas, etc. and its another thing to draw on skin. How did you learn how to tattoo? When did you begin?
Im not going to deny that it took me several years to decide to start tattooing people. I got my first tattoo when I was 19 years old because I was really into it. That was what I wanted to experiment with at the time. I began to tattoo when I was 23 years old. Its been six years now.
This journey you mentioned in your question was quite difficult. Back then, we didnt have Internet access like today and there wasnt exactly a school to learn how to tattoo. I had to start out by visiting different tattoo artists and asking questions. Not everybody was willing to share their knowledge, so I had to experiment.
That was how I gave lots of friends and people I know free tattoos, so I could gain some confidence and greater control of this new medium and materials. It was a completely different experience to anything I had ever known. Plus, social media has helped to create greater unity. It makes it easier to connect with other tattoo artists, so we can share knowledge.
Is it legal to own a tattoo studio in Cuba? Tell us a little bit about this.
Tattoo art is in a legal limbo in our country. There is a movement today, an initiative by tattoo artists, to create an association to seek legal status. The name of this group would be the Cuban Association of Tattoo and Perforation Artists (ACATP). This legal procedure has been in the works for over 3 years, and we still havent received a response. The closest thing to authorization or a permit were two courses put on by Public Health. They were to train us about hygiene in our work. Having a tattoo studio in Cuba today, is a complete gamble for tomorrow.
However, this legal limbo will be resolved at some point What stage is the Association currently in?
Yes, I think so. However so far, the higher institutions, the decision makers, are taking their time to answer our demands.
We have a lawyer in charge of the whole process. However, like I said, its been more than three years without a response. Despite everything, tattoo artists have never given up on their efforts to legalize their profession and gain legal status. Conferences and events are held every year (except this one), and there is always a space for discussing the Association.
I can imagine that all of this makes it hard for you to work What are the main challenges that lie ahead when it comes to giving people tattoos?
Legal protections are one, along with the lack of recognition. This complicates a series of everyday tasks for the artist. Getting access to materials is extremely difficult. As our profession isnt legal, we dont have a store where we can go to buy all of the supplies we need to do our work with all of the safety and rigor that health regulations call for. We work with the materials we get from people who can travel and bring back what we need to work.
As you can imagine, this isnt a stable solution. A tattoo is a challenge through and through for the artist, because they have to come up with a way to navigate shortages without compromising the quality of their work and the clients health.
Everybody knows that we are going through a rough time right now. COVID-19 has put us in check and is trying to distance us from any social activity or connection. How has your work been affected by this? How has your life been during lockdown as a result?
Well, its like you yourself said. As the supplies we need arent sold in the country and flights into the country are suspended for the time being because of the pandemic, supplies arent coming in either. Youve probably imagined that my work is on standby until further notice, which has affected my personal life. I rent a place in Playa municipality and it also affects when Ill be able to reopen the studio. I dont have the materials to decorate and create proper working and hygienic conditions. On the other hand, there is a fear of being infected, both of the population as well as myself. Its a very tough situation, but I prefer to wait it out. If I can start again, I will take great care with hygiene.
How do you manage to get by then?
Doing the math over and over again I imagine that we all are. Ive had to live off the savings I had for my studies and even though Im not working at the studio, that doesnt mean I havent looked for some private work on the side.
Maike, do you work at your own studio or at somebody elses studio?
I have worked in other tattoo artists studios as a guest artist. When the pandemic came, I was in the process of opening up my own studio, but anyway were moving ahead, changing all of the equipment in the new place that will be called Neotaino Tattoo Studio. You can find us on social media with this handle.
Quite an uncertain future ahead anyhow, what do you think things will be like for tattoo artists in two or three years?
If we manage to create the Association and we can bring in supplies to do high-quality tattoos legally, I believe that well catch peoples attention because Cuba has high-quality tattoo artists. I still insist that this lack of legal status will make everything slower and more tedious. Nevertheless, quality comes first, and you can see this at every event. I believe that when we finally have our proper status, we will gain greater recognition. Likewise, we will have proper marketing and wont have to be afraid to advertise ourselves.
Read more interviews in Havana Times
See the original post:
Cuban Tattoo Art and the Challenges Ahead - Havana Times
- Influences and Essentials: DAN LORENZO In His Own Words - OUTBURN ONLINE - Outburn - July 26th, 2021
- Fentanyl Is Wreaking Havoc in Tijuana. Is the Rest of Mexico Next? - VICE - July 26th, 2021
- Home page - American Body Art - Tattoo Supplies Online ... - July 10th, 2021
- Rat City Tat2: "On to the Next Shop" - Westside Seattle - July 10th, 2021
- A Veteran's Journey From Army to Storming the Capitol | Time - TIME - TIME - July 10th, 2021
- The MacIver Weekly Disease Brief: COVID-19 In Wisconsin - MacIverInstitute - July 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021: Global Trends, Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities Analysis and Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The... - June 30th, 2021
- Camp LighterHow New, Compact Gear Makes It Easier Than Ever to Get Outdoors - The Wall Street Journal - June 30th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 30th, 2021
- I'm Sorry To Say That Bonkers Tweet About The Big Rig Driver Who Looks Like Amy Schumer Is A Joke - Jalopnik - June 13th, 2021
- Would the Real Toeflop Please Stand Up? - Texas Monthly - June 1st, 2021
- List of businesses that can operate in containment zones released - Fijivillage - May 20th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 20th, 2021
- Vintage Tattoo owner strives to keep artistry and inclusivity alive - The Reflector online - February 20th, 2021
- Blood drive on March 15th in Hicksville - The Syosset Advance - February 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Forecast in Addition to Top key players like: Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors, and... - February 20th, 2021
- Market Assessment of Tattoo Ink Industry including Top Players like Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors,... - February 17th, 2021
- How River Raids work in Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Gamepur - February 17th, 2021
- Residents Encouraged To Donate Blood At Drive In Hicksville - Patch.com - February 15th, 2021
- Keep it Flowing: Combating COVID-19 Blood Shortages in Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - February 13th, 2021
- Optimistic Growth of Colored Tattoo Inks Market 2021 to High Demand NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 13th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Spray Covers Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends|Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply, Tommys Supplies, , , etc -... - February 8th, 2021
- Report Explained: How COVID-19 Has affected The Tattoo Market? | Survey on Future Scope by 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 8th, 2021
- Last Week in The Sentinel | Local News | sentinelsource.com - The Keene Sentinel - February 6th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 31st, 2021
- Then and Now: A look at Gardner's 'Main' menu - The Gardner News - January 31st, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - January 31st, 2021
- Still Red: Luna County lagging in response to COVID-19 "Red to Green" platform - The Deming Headlight - January 31st, 2021
- Global Tattoo Needles Market by Manufacturers, Types, Regions and Application Research Report Forecast to 2026 The Courier - The Courier - January 27th, 2021
- New Mexico Department Of Health County Map Update: Los Alamos Reaches Yellow Level; Almost Every County Improving In Health Metrics And Suppressing... - January 27th, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2027: Tattoo Goo, Hustle Butter, Ora's Amazing Herbal etc. - KSU | The... - January 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - FLA News - January 15th, 2021
- The Middle East and Africa dermatology treatment devices market is expected to reach US$ 317.68 million in 2027 from US$ 217.01 million in 2019 -... - January 15th, 2021
- McDonald's J Balvin merch line has been canceled due to production challenges, following the wild success of the chain's Travis Scott collab - Markets... - January 12th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Business Opportunities, Survey, Growth Analysis And Industry Outlook | Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommys Supplies, Kuro Sumi... - January 3rd, 2021
- World: Positive news in the difficult year of the pandemic - PRESSENZA International News Agency - January 3rd, 2021
- 32 Counties Operating At Red Level On Department Of Health County Map Including Los Alamos County - Los Alamos Reporter - January 3rd, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market (Europe and US) | What Recent Study Say About Top Companies - NeighborWebSJ - December 27th, 2020
- Market Size, Share and Manufacture covered Globally of Tattoo Market from 2020-2026 - The Monitor - December 27th, 2020
- Global Rotary Tattoo Machines Market 2020 Top Growing Companies Analysis and Segmentation Outlook till 2026 - The Monitor - December 19th, 2020
- Art supply drive for kids to be held Friday - KSNF/KODE - FourStatesHomepage.com - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 18th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 10th, 2020
- Colored Tattoo Inks Market Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,Forecast (2020-2025) - The Courier - December 7th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 7th, 2020
- Yakuza Like A Dragon: Every Playable Character You Can Have in Your Party - TheGamer - November 30th, 2020
- TATSoul - Tattoo Supplies & Furniture - November 25th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2025 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla: 6 things you don't want to miss - CNET - November 20th, 2020
- Ailed Duarte on the unique pressures and pleasures of tattooing in Cuba - Roads and Kingdoms - November 18th, 2020
- Addiction Matters: How a heroin user-turned-hero saved so many others, but not himself - WWLTV.com - November 18th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- Despite pandemic, Bobby Natalini Jr. Blood Drive will continue to build supplies for Red Cross - The Times Herald - November 16th, 2020
- How Art Therapy Helped One Cancer Survivor Manage COVID-19 Lockdown - Curetoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and... - November 10th, 2020
- Governor adds new restrictions on gatherings - Government - vintontoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market 2026: Report Recent Trends and Growth Opportunities by Major Players Cloud Dragon (CN), Wujiang Shenli (CN), Magic Moon... - November 4th, 2020
- WHAT'S BEING PLANNED: McDonald's latest, tattoo parlour on the move and more - Swindon Advertiser - November 1st, 2020
- Incredible Generosity Makes Red Handed Tattoo in Shreveport the Nicest Place in Louisiana - Reader's Digest - November 1st, 2020
- Global Spray Covers Industry Statistics & Forecast to 2026 | Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply - re:Jerusalem - October 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Tattoo Machine Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra, Worldwide Tattoo Supply,... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market by technology, solutions, application, price, demand analysis and growth opportunities to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study... - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market Size, Production, Consumption, Export and Import, Growth Rate and Price Analysis by Types and Applications, Forecast to 2025 -... - October 14th, 2020
- Kern County could move to next tier, how industries are preparing - KERO 23ABC News - October 14th, 2020
- Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum Partners With Kingpin Tattoo Supplies For #SupportYourArtist - BevNET.com - October 10th, 2020
- Covid-19 has resurrected the woeful tech of home printers - Wired.co.uk - October 10th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Decal Paper Market based on types and application - GroundAlerts.com - October 7th, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market 2020 |Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026| Latest Research Report By... - September 30th, 2020
- Women tattoo artists make mark on industry in Boulder County - Longmont Times-Call - September 30th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market: 2020 Global Industry Size Share, Regional Analysis, End Users, Growth Insights, Top Key Players and Forecast To 2026 -... - September 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Tattoo Ink Market Analysis by Recent Trends and Growth by Region 2020| Intenze Tattoo Ink, Alla Prima, Kuro Sumi - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Latest Research Report on Tattoo Ink Market To Exhibit Impressive Growth By 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 23rd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market research gain impetus due to the growing demand over (2020 2027) - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market Size, Type Analysis, Application Analysis, End-Use, Industry COVID-19 Impact on Analysis, Regions, Trends, Competitive Strategies... - September 22nd, 2020
- UL's Devon Pauley helping Cajuns make historic strides, while thoughts always with Lake Charles - The Advocate - September 22nd, 2020
- In Place of Police: The Oregon Experiment | by Krithika Varagur - The New York Review of Books - September 18th, 2020
- Restaurants, retail stores and office buildings will now be able to operate at 75 percent capacity - The Light and Champion - September 18th, 2020