The images are disturbing in artist David A. Haughtons series of paintings called Angry White Men III: The Puppet Masters.
They show some of the worlds most influential populist right-wing bigots and white supremacists, who whip up the masses to hate their neighbours on the basis of their skin colour, race, or religion.
Theres a realistic image of Jew-hating writer John de Nugent looking upward with a zealous expression on his face. Another features notorious far-right Internet rabble-rouser Charles C. Johnson, staring intently forward.
Then theres Stephen Miller, the anti-immigration close adviser to President Donald Trump, looking somewhat suspiciously to the left.
So why would Haughton, a former B.C. Childrens Hospital pediatric emergency-room physician, want to showcase these bad guys without any real distortions?
I fell into the Angry White Men series because Trump was elected, and I was already painting, Haughton explained to the Straight by phone. I was finally exploring something I had started thinking about, perhaps in a rather inchoate manner, for 20 years before, which is, Why is there evil? Men are evil. Can you tell it in their faces?
Moreover, he didn't feel comfortable, as a white man, painting the faces of the victims suffering the consequences of hate.
Haughton also included a nasty-looking Donald Trump, painted in acrylic on hardboard, in the series of 20 images. The artists fascination with evil marks an abrupt departure from the landscape paintings that were previously his trademark.
Thats because he felt that when Trump was elected in 2016, the president enabled people to show off their white supremacist, racist, anti-immigrant, and anti-Muslim beliefs in a conspicuous and audacious manner.
Haughton described one of those audacious racists, white nationalist leader Richard Spencer, as a suit-and-tie version of the white supremacists of old. Hes depicted with a bit of a smirk on his face.
Im informed by the photographs that are posted on the Internet, either in the Washington Post or New York Times or some other source, the artist said. Its really the proportions and the lighting that informs meand its my own strokesbut its probably a matter of luck which ones have good portraits that have enough detail that I can do something with.
Theres also a painting of radio host and prolific conspiracy theorist Alex Jones looking somewhat demented. Haughton described him as angrybut also canny.
Hes desperately selling stuff at the same time, Haughton added. I mean, how could people be fooled by these characters?
Canadians in the series include white supremacist podcaster Stefan Molyneux.
There are three components to the Angry White Men series. One group of paintings depicts them in the street, intimidating the public with their Nazi tattoos and fascist symbols. Another group shows the puppetsthose who are sometimes mentally ill, confused, or ignorant and who are driven or recruited to commit gruesome crimes.
Then there are the puppet masters of this latest series, which will be shown at the Visual Space Gallery (3352 Dunbar Street) from October 8 to 21.
When Haughton unveiled his first Angry White Men series at Gallery 110 in Seattle in 2018, it elicited a hostile reaction in some quarters.
These paintings showed Nazis in the street and some horrific mass murderers, including a sinister depiction of Norwegian child killer Anders Behring Breivik.
According to a report in the Stranger, an unnamed Black DJ was particularly upset that Haughton was asking for $5,000 for a painting of Dylann Roof, a U.S. white racist who perpetrated mass murder in a Charleston Black church in 2014.
I had prices there mainly to plant my flag in the sand to say that these pieces are worthy art, Haughton said by way of explanation.
However, after a threat to firebomb the gallery, he came to the realization that any proceeds from the sale of Angry White Men paintings should be donated to the Equal Justice Initiative and the Southern Poverty Law Center, which are both dedicated to countering hatred, injustice, and racism.
There are about 70 families that live in studios above the gallery, Haughton said. I thought, Oh, my God, what have I done?
Read the original post:
- Getting Inked can impair sweating, make body to overheat - The Statesman - October 25th, 2020
- Deepdive: This is why #endsars trended this week - Mumbai Mirror - October 25th, 2020
- Male rappers are more than their music The Vermont Cynic - Vermont Cynic - October 24th, 2020
- Victor Ray Cruz Wanted to Turn His Life Around Then He Got the Coronavirus - Voice of San Diego - October 22nd, 2020
- Donations of blood wanted by hospital | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - October 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men Who Love Ink - menshealth.com - October 21st, 2020
- Women in Bhopal are getting tattoos of Goddess Durga to signify women empowerment - Free Press Journal - October 21st, 2020
- On Suits and Face Tattoos: The Black Community's Obsession with Respectability - The Southern Digest - October 21st, 2020
- Does Zac Efron Have Any Tattoos? The Answer Is Surprisingly Complicated - POPSUGAR - October 21st, 2020
- Dr. Dre and His Son Get Matching Tattoos - Rap-Up.com - October 21st, 2020
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020
- Katie Price admits she always kept a backup man on the side after ex-husband Kieran Hayler cheated on her - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Was the German unity celebrated Oct. 3 a good or a bad thing? - People's World - October 7th, 2020
- 'It hurts': Workers grapple with the mental impacts of Alberta's recession - WellandTribune.ca - October 4th, 2020
- 'I don't over think it' - Tarrus Riley on image, masculinity and music - Jamaica Gleaner - October 4th, 2020
- Preying on the Vulnerable: Half of Trafficked Women and Girls Are Immigrants - WTTW News - October 4th, 2020
- Chaplain Norris Burkes: Who's your BFF? - The Union of Grass Valley - October 2nd, 2020
- These are the internet's favorite memes from the first presidential debate of 2020 - NBC News - October 2nd, 2020
- New exhibition: 'Ink in the Lines': the art and meaning of military tattoos - Australian Photography - October 2nd, 2020
- DAWN Describes His Childhood, Relationship With HyunA, Meaning Of His Tattoos, And More - soompi - October 2nd, 2020
- How one man spent 34 years in prison after setting fire to a pair of curtains - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says she's getting boyfriend Carl Woods' face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dating - Brinkwire - October 2nd, 2020
- The Bleak Resonance of 'Native Son' | by Gary Younge - The New York Review of Books - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says shes getting boyfriend Carl Woods face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dat - The Sun - September 30th, 2020
- Will Smith Might Be a Superstar but He's Not Good at Everything, According To a Former Co-Star - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys? - Quartz - September 30th, 2020
- Man wanted in Toronto assault that left victim seriously injured: police - Global News - September 30th, 2020
- British Post-Punk Band Idles Are Throwing a Revolution, and Everyone's Invited - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2020
- 'Men get breast cancer too' | Ohio daughters raising awareness about breast cancer in men in honor of their father - WTOL - September 22nd, 2020
- Day 20: If You Live In The Rural West, You Better Fit The Part - KUNR Public Radio - September 22nd, 2020
- 15 Meaningful Dream Catcher Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - September 20th, 2020
- Men ghost me on dating apps when I tell them Im autistic I just want to be accepted - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- Five Guys a Week, review: irresistibly voyeuristic dating show adheres perfectly to lockdown rules - Telegraph.co.uk - September 20th, 2020
- Final Fantasy XVI: 3 things you might have missed in the trailer - RPG Site - September 20th, 2020
- Miller & Carter turn away two men because their 'chavvy' outfits breach dress code - Somerset Live - September 18th, 2020
- London crime: The faces of 5 men wanted over drugs and firearms offences - My London - September 16th, 2020
- Central American refugees stopped by Trump, then by pandemic - Herald-Whig - September 16th, 2020
- Baltimore murder suspects protected by sanctuary laws, ICE says; 'This is the worst-case scenario' - Fox News - September 16th, 2020
- Pepe the Frog Mutates from a Far Right Meme Into a Lovable, Far Gone Figure in Feels Good Man - The Texas Observer - September 16th, 2020
- Wait, The 'If I Go Missing' Kit From 'A.P. Bio' On Peacock Is A Real, Law Enforcement-Recommended Thing? - Oxygen - September 16th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Online Athens - September 16th, 2020
- The faces of the 7 most wanted men in the North West - Lancs Live - September 12th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Savannah Morning News - September 12th, 2020
- Fourteen Martyrs in the Struggle Against Racist Terror and Trumpism-Fascism - CounterPunch - September 12th, 2020
- De'Andre Asbury-Heath Is a Baseball Pro and a New Contestant on 'Love Island USA' - Distractify - September 12th, 2020
- The Advice Goddess - Argonaut Online - September 9th, 2020
- Forsberg: Is Theis the best bang-for-your-buck contract in NBA? - Comcast SportsNet New England - September 9th, 2020
- Nowadays, Body Inclusivity Sells, and Brands Will Ignore It at Their Peril - Study Breaks - September 9th, 2020
- 31 Extra-Special Ways You Described Your Sexual Orientation on the 2020 Reader Survey - Autostraddle - September 9th, 2020
- Post Malone on how face tattoos and Supreme drops inspired his wine empire - British GQ - September 7th, 2020
- Model falls in love with childhood sweetheart after 30 years when pal picks him out for her on app - Wales Online - September 7th, 2020
- In the near future, what will restaurant adventures look like? Choose your own. - Kansas City Pitch - September 7th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Massillon Independent - September 6th, 2020
- Whatever Happened To ... The Heavy Metal Mongolian Band Called The Hu? - KPCW - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - Belfast Live - September 6th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Suburbanite - September 6th, 2020
- A hero in the recovery community laid to rest - Concord Monitor - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - MyLondon - September 6th, 2020
- Thieves Steal Firearms from Gun Show in Morgantown - Berks Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit - The Free Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Behind the Ink: Tattoo Culture at Yale-NUS College - The Octant - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Star's boyfriend Andre Marhold's Baby Mommy Responds To their Relationship - Dankanator - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Simcoe Reformer - September 4th, 2020
- Childhood Sweethearts Fall In Love 30 Years Later Thanks To App - Comic Sands - September 4th, 2020