The first presidential debate between President Donald Trump and Joe Biden on Tuesday was marked by verbal jabs, name-calling and lots of crosstalk.
That hostility became instant meme fodder on social media.
Historically, presidential debates have been rife for memeing. The debates leading up to the 2016 election between Hillary Clinton and Trump were not only famously contentious but also a trove of timeless memes. Whether it was Trump leaning into the microphone proclaiming, Wrong! or Clinton shaking her shoulders after zinging Trump, many moments are still frequently used as gifs and memes on social media platforms like Twitter.
However, while many lamented online that Tuesday nights debate was largely unproductive and stress-inducing as both Trump and Biden spoke over each other, several moments managed to permeate the chaos to become full-fledged memes.
Heres our roundup of the best social media memes and moments from the first debate.
As Trump and Biden bickered back and forth at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Twitter users began to compare the debate to Bravos The Real Housewives series.
The Real Housewives, a reality show that follows wealthy women in various cities and holds a reunion at the end of each season, often devolves into shouting matches and name-calling not unlike the performances of Trump and Biden on the debate stage.
Bravo is owned by NBCUniversal, the parent company of NBC News.
This is more like a real housewives reunion than a debate lol, tweeted Sean Garrette, an ambassador for Fenty Skin, a skincare company.
Some suggested that Andy Cohen, who as the host of the Housewives reunion shows must reign in fights between the shows stars, would have made a better debate moderator than the evenings actual moderator, Fox News Chris Wallace.
Where is Andy Cohen? He could handle this, tweeted Sam Sanders, host of NPRs Its Been A Minute.
Andy Cohen needed to host this, tweeted Jemele Hill, host of the Jemele Hill is Unbothered, a podcast for Spotify.
In response to a question Wallace asked about Trumps beliefs regarding the effectiveness of wearing masks to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, Trump took a swipe at Biden.
I don't wear masks like him, Trump said. Every time you see him, he's got a mask. He could be speaking 200-feet away from and he shows up with the biggest mask I've ever seen.
On Twitter, Kassy Dillon, founder of Lone Conservative, a politics, campus conservatism and culture platform, tweeted a plea to social media users: Someone photoshop Joe with the biggest mask I've ever seen."
Twitter pounced on the idea of Biden wearing the biggest mask, and, as Dillon requested, photoshopped images of the former vice president wearing oversize masks in addition to tweeting jokes about large masks.
He has the biggest mask on Ive ever seen oh my god that was so funny, tweeted Twitter user Zyanya Caruso.
Another Twitter user shared an image of Bane, a fictional supervillain from the Batman movie series, who wears a distinctive mask with the Trump quote.
One of the moments that sent the internet into a frenzy was a back-and-forth between Trump and Biden as they bickered over a question about the Supreme Court.
As they spoke over each other, Biden quipped, Will you shut up, man?
By 9:45 p.m. ET, shortly after Bidens dig at the president, the phrase had been tweeted approximately 150,000 times. By the time the debate ended, people were already selling the phrase on T-shirts.
Honestly, Will you shut up, man? is going down in presidential debate history along with Nixon's beard. Iconic, tweeted Democratic Party strategist Tom Watson.
Others said they planned to adopt the phrase for daily use in their own lives.
Im going to use will you shut up, man every time Im on a staff meeting and someone tries to cut me off, wrote Twitter user MademoiselleNur.
Will you shut up man is the bio of my life rn, Twitter user ximenags96 wrote, adding a laughing emoji to the end of the sentence.
Several memes used to exemplify the debates were already famous memes, such as Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man or references to The Simpsons.
The Spider-Man meme, which shows two identical superheroes pointing at each other, was used repeatedly on Twitter late Tuesday into early Wednesday to exemplify the similarities between Biden and Trump as they argued.
In some cases, the meme was edited to include a third Spider-Man, meant to represent the out-of-control nature of the multiple, overlapping exchanges of Wallace, Trump and Biden throughout the night.
Another image shared on Twitter used to represent the debate was an image that appears to be from The Simpsons, which shows a newspaper clipping from the cartoon showing two angry old men beneath a headline that read, Old Man Yells at Old Man.
Toward the close of the debate, Trump made a claim that poll watchers had been denied from watching the first day of in-person elections in Philadelphia, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer,
In Philadelphia they went in to watch. Theyre called poll watchers. A very safe, very nice thing. They were thrown out. They werent allowed to watch. You know why? Because bad things happen in Philadelphia, bad things.
The claim was false, according to the Inquirer, but Twitter seized on the moment to show what it believed to be the real threat to Philadelphia.
Bad things happen in Philadelphia, one person wrote atop an image of The Philadelphia Flyers mascot Gritty.
Pumped for all the bad things happen in Philadelphia tattoos were about to see, wrote Twitter user ExtremeMomVibes, also sharing a picture of Gritty.
Bad things happen in philadelphia like when I had a crush on someone from there and spent an entire day walking around wondering if they had also walked where I was walking, tweeted singer Phoebe Bridgers.
Like the Will you shut up, man, meme, T-shirt of the phrase Bad things happen in Philadelphia sprung up almost immediately.
On TikTok, teens and young adults immediately began using images and audio from the debate to create memes and comedic videos.
In one video, TikToker Emily Senn sang her own lyrics about the debate to the tune of Bonnie Tylers Total Eclipse of the Heart.
What the helld we watch tonight? Please someone help Chris Wallace. Not a coherent thought in sight, Senn sang. Theres more order in a dog park.
In another video, TikToker Mackenzie Rae Gornay layered an image of the candidates debating over audio of a meme called Wicked Witch of the East, Bro, in which two men can be heard arguing details of the film The Wizard of Oz.
Using a filter, Gornay edited the eyes and mouths of the candidates to sync them with the Wicked Witch audio to make it appear Biden and Trump were arguing about the film rather than the debate topics.
Some videos suggested Trump shouldve had a mute button, while others expressed concern that Trump did not explicitly condemn white supremacists when asked during the debate.
Others marveled at the speed at which lines from the debate were already being sold by the Biden campaign as merchandise.
WHATEVER GENZ EMPLOYEE BIDENS TEAM HIRED DESERVES A RAISE, TikTok user Shawn OConner captioned a video uploaded shortly after the debate, in which OConner laughed while showing one of the T-shirts with the phrase Will you shut up, man, on it.
Read the original:
- Getting Inked can impair sweating, make body to overheat - The Statesman - October 25th, 2020
- Deepdive: This is why #endsars trended this week - Mumbai Mirror - October 25th, 2020
- Male rappers are more than their music The Vermont Cynic - Vermont Cynic - October 24th, 2020
- Victor Ray Cruz Wanted to Turn His Life Around Then He Got the Coronavirus - Voice of San Diego - October 22nd, 2020
- Donations of blood wanted by hospital | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - October 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men Who Love Ink - menshealth.com - October 21st, 2020
- Women in Bhopal are getting tattoos of Goddess Durga to signify women empowerment - Free Press Journal - October 21st, 2020
- On Suits and Face Tattoos: The Black Community's Obsession with Respectability - The Southern Digest - October 21st, 2020
- Does Zac Efron Have Any Tattoos? The Answer Is Surprisingly Complicated - POPSUGAR - October 21st, 2020
- Dr. Dre and His Son Get Matching Tattoos - Rap-Up.com - October 21st, 2020
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020
- Katie Price admits she always kept a backup man on the side after ex-husband Kieran Hayler cheated on her - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Was the German unity celebrated Oct. 3 a good or a bad thing? - People's World - October 7th, 2020
- 'It hurts': Workers grapple with the mental impacts of Alberta's recession - WellandTribune.ca - October 4th, 2020
- 'I don't over think it' - Tarrus Riley on image, masculinity and music - Jamaica Gleaner - October 4th, 2020
- Preying on the Vulnerable: Half of Trafficked Women and Girls Are Immigrants - WTTW News - October 4th, 2020
- Chaplain Norris Burkes: Who's your BFF? - The Union of Grass Valley - October 2nd, 2020
- New exhibition: 'Ink in the Lines': the art and meaning of military tattoos - Australian Photography - October 2nd, 2020
- DAWN Describes His Childhood, Relationship With HyunA, Meaning Of His Tattoos, And More - soompi - October 2nd, 2020
- How one man spent 34 years in prison after setting fire to a pair of curtains - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says she's getting boyfriend Carl Woods' face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dating - Brinkwire - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump's election spurred B.C. painter David A. Haughton to focus on evil - Straight.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Bleak Resonance of 'Native Son' | by Gary Younge - The New York Review of Books - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says shes getting boyfriend Carl Woods face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dat - The Sun - September 30th, 2020
- Will Smith Might Be a Superstar but He's Not Good at Everything, According To a Former Co-Star - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys? - Quartz - September 30th, 2020
- Man wanted in Toronto assault that left victim seriously injured: police - Global News - September 30th, 2020
- British Post-Punk Band Idles Are Throwing a Revolution, and Everyone's Invited - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2020
- 'Men get breast cancer too' | Ohio daughters raising awareness about breast cancer in men in honor of their father - WTOL - September 22nd, 2020
- Day 20: If You Live In The Rural West, You Better Fit The Part - KUNR Public Radio - September 22nd, 2020
- 15 Meaningful Dream Catcher Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - September 20th, 2020
- Men ghost me on dating apps when I tell them Im autistic I just want to be accepted - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- Five Guys a Week, review: irresistibly voyeuristic dating show adheres perfectly to lockdown rules - Telegraph.co.uk - September 20th, 2020
- Final Fantasy XVI: 3 things you might have missed in the trailer - RPG Site - September 20th, 2020
- Miller & Carter turn away two men because their 'chavvy' outfits breach dress code - Somerset Live - September 18th, 2020
- London crime: The faces of 5 men wanted over drugs and firearms offences - My London - September 16th, 2020
- Central American refugees stopped by Trump, then by pandemic - Herald-Whig - September 16th, 2020
- Baltimore murder suspects protected by sanctuary laws, ICE says; 'This is the worst-case scenario' - Fox News - September 16th, 2020
- Pepe the Frog Mutates from a Far Right Meme Into a Lovable, Far Gone Figure in Feels Good Man - The Texas Observer - September 16th, 2020
- Wait, The 'If I Go Missing' Kit From 'A.P. Bio' On Peacock Is A Real, Law Enforcement-Recommended Thing? - Oxygen - September 16th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Online Athens - September 16th, 2020
- The faces of the 7 most wanted men in the North West - Lancs Live - September 12th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Savannah Morning News - September 12th, 2020
- Fourteen Martyrs in the Struggle Against Racist Terror and Trumpism-Fascism - CounterPunch - September 12th, 2020
- De'Andre Asbury-Heath Is a Baseball Pro and a New Contestant on 'Love Island USA' - Distractify - September 12th, 2020
- The Advice Goddess - Argonaut Online - September 9th, 2020
- Forsberg: Is Theis the best bang-for-your-buck contract in NBA? - Comcast SportsNet New England - September 9th, 2020
- Nowadays, Body Inclusivity Sells, and Brands Will Ignore It at Their Peril - Study Breaks - September 9th, 2020
- 31 Extra-Special Ways You Described Your Sexual Orientation on the 2020 Reader Survey - Autostraddle - September 9th, 2020
- Post Malone on how face tattoos and Supreme drops inspired his wine empire - British GQ - September 7th, 2020
- Model falls in love with childhood sweetheart after 30 years when pal picks him out for her on app - Wales Online - September 7th, 2020
- In the near future, what will restaurant adventures look like? Choose your own. - Kansas City Pitch - September 7th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Massillon Independent - September 6th, 2020
- Whatever Happened To ... The Heavy Metal Mongolian Band Called The Hu? - KPCW - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - Belfast Live - September 6th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Suburbanite - September 6th, 2020
- A hero in the recovery community laid to rest - Concord Monitor - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - MyLondon - September 6th, 2020
- Thieves Steal Firearms from Gun Show in Morgantown - Berks Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit - The Free Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Behind the Ink: Tattoo Culture at Yale-NUS College - The Octant - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Star's boyfriend Andre Marhold's Baby Mommy Responds To their Relationship - Dankanator - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Simcoe Reformer - September 4th, 2020
- Childhood Sweethearts Fall In Love 30 Years Later Thanks To App - Comic Sands - September 4th, 2020