Ahead of his comeback, DAWN talkedwith W Korea about his music, childhood, and more!
Whileon the topic of his upcoming mini album, the interviewer mentioned that theyd heard DAWN humming his title track during the photo shoot. They expressed their surprise as it sounded completelydifferent than hissolo debut track MONEY.
Itll be very different, replied DAWN. Its a hip hop track, but the arrangement isreally minimalistic. It keeps going with just a drum and bass. Its a song that introduces me. Thats why the first verse says, My name is DAWN. I do some very subtle boasting here and there too [laughs].For example, saying that Im usually quiet but if I get on stage then I become a psycho like PSY.
DAWNwent on to talk about the lyrics of MONEY.I wrote that song at the height of feeling confused mentally, he said. I tell my own stories through music, and I started doing music just thinking about how there are a few people who appreciate that. But when I made it my job, moneybecame a wall that I faced. The music that Iaim to make isdifferent than the music that the public, let alone the agency, want. And all issues eventually boil down to money.
If you look at the lyrics carefully, youll see that Im in a fierce fight with money, he said. I wrote those lyrics like I was writing a letter to money, so they were written like complaining to a past lover. Saying, I love you so much but I hate you, I want to have you but I want to get away from you. Thats why the last line ends it simply by saying, I dont need you.' DAWN shared that the lyrics for MONEY had taken less than an hour and hed originally just written it to give to fans, rather thanto releaseit as a single.
When asked if he still has an I dont need you relationship with money, DAWN said with a laugh, My thoughts have changed. If theres something that I can solve materially, then I want to solve it with money. But I could never sell my soul for money. I think Ive drawn a line.
When DAWN talked about how he had been the type of kid to just stay inside and draw, the interviewer asked how he ended up being a singer who performs in front of big audiences.
My mom is very active and open, he said. She was a belly dancer, and she was a super mom who was passionate about her work and family. Since I was always just staying at home, she told me that if I wasnt going to even study, then I should at least dance. She said that men who dance are cool. Id say I dont want to go day after day and I learned to dance while singing, and then at some point I completely fell in love with it. Then I naturally got cast and now Ive ended up here.
DAWN later described dancing as something opposite from his personality. I grew up in the countryside where there was no one around, and I hardly ever met other people, he said. I would spend all day at home and sometimes go out to collect bugsthats all I did in a day. So at first, I was very scared of other people. I think I broke out of that box when I was dancing in front of an audience. Thats because dancing is a way to connect. I slowly realized, I dont need to worry about what other people think, and This isnt a big deal.'
The artist was asked if theres anything he wants to talk about in his music at some point.
I want to write songs that as many people as possible will be able to relate to, he said. There are so many songs in the world that are pleasing to the ears.In that way, I want to write a childrens song too at some point. Also, I think that love is the most important thing in life. Includinglove between a couple, love for parents, and more widely, even love for the Earths environment. He also shared that he hopes that the music he writes will give people a positive energy.
DAWN was asked to describe what kind of person he is to his girlfriend HyunA. DAWN said with a laugh, People sometimes watch HyunA and I on a variety show and say, Its a cat whos tired and lethargic after playing with its butler, and its exactly like what people see. In Korea, cat owners are often jokingly referred to as butlers or servants for their cats.
Im relaxed andcalm about everything, he said. On the other hand, HyunA is always overflowing with energy. I think maybe I bring some stability to HyunA. Not in terms of material things, but mental stability. He laughed as he says that even he thinks he is a nice boyfriend.
DAWN was also asked about the meaning of his tattoos. To be honest, they dont mean much, he said. The first one I got was the deer drawing on my back. The one on the side is a lettering tattoo that I got for free then. I also have small ones here and there of HyunAs drawings. The numerals on my shoulder are for my birthday. Iveincludedall of my family, since it means that because Im the youngest, my family was created in the moment I was born.
The full interview and pictorial can be found in the October issue of W Korea.
DAWN will make a comeback on October 9 with hisfirstmini album DAWNDIDIDAWN, which includes collaborations with Jessi and Crush.
How does this article make you feel?
- Getting Inked can impair sweating, make body to overheat - The Statesman - October 25th, 2020
- Deepdive: This is why #endsars trended this week - Mumbai Mirror - October 25th, 2020
- Male rappers are more than their music The Vermont Cynic - Vermont Cynic - October 24th, 2020
- Victor Ray Cruz Wanted to Turn His Life Around Then He Got the Coronavirus - Voice of San Diego - October 22nd, 2020
- Donations of blood wanted by hospital | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - October 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men Who Love Ink - menshealth.com - October 21st, 2020
- Women in Bhopal are getting tattoos of Goddess Durga to signify women empowerment - Free Press Journal - October 21st, 2020
- On Suits and Face Tattoos: The Black Community's Obsession with Respectability - The Southern Digest - October 21st, 2020
- Does Zac Efron Have Any Tattoos? The Answer Is Surprisingly Complicated - POPSUGAR - October 21st, 2020
- Dr. Dre and His Son Get Matching Tattoos - Rap-Up.com - October 21st, 2020
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020
- Katie Price admits she always kept a backup man on the side after ex-husband Kieran Hayler cheated on her - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Was the German unity celebrated Oct. 3 a good or a bad thing? - People's World - October 7th, 2020
- 'It hurts': Workers grapple with the mental impacts of Alberta's recession - WellandTribune.ca - October 4th, 2020
- 'I don't over think it' - Tarrus Riley on image, masculinity and music - Jamaica Gleaner - October 4th, 2020
- Preying on the Vulnerable: Half of Trafficked Women and Girls Are Immigrants - WTTW News - October 4th, 2020
- Chaplain Norris Burkes: Who's your BFF? - The Union of Grass Valley - October 2nd, 2020
- These are the internet's favorite memes from the first presidential debate of 2020 - NBC News - October 2nd, 2020
- New exhibition: 'Ink in the Lines': the art and meaning of military tattoos - Australian Photography - October 2nd, 2020
- How one man spent 34 years in prison after setting fire to a pair of curtains - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says she's getting boyfriend Carl Woods' face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dating - Brinkwire - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump's election spurred B.C. painter David A. Haughton to focus on evil - Straight.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Bleak Resonance of 'Native Son' | by Gary Younge - The New York Review of Books - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says shes getting boyfriend Carl Woods face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dat - The Sun - September 30th, 2020
- Will Smith Might Be a Superstar but He's Not Good at Everything, According To a Former Co-Star - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys? - Quartz - September 30th, 2020
- Man wanted in Toronto assault that left victim seriously injured: police - Global News - September 30th, 2020
- British Post-Punk Band Idles Are Throwing a Revolution, and Everyone's Invited - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2020
- 'Men get breast cancer too' | Ohio daughters raising awareness about breast cancer in men in honor of their father - WTOL - September 22nd, 2020
- Day 20: If You Live In The Rural West, You Better Fit The Part - KUNR Public Radio - September 22nd, 2020
- 15 Meaningful Dream Catcher Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - September 20th, 2020
- Men ghost me on dating apps when I tell them Im autistic I just want to be accepted - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- Five Guys a Week, review: irresistibly voyeuristic dating show adheres perfectly to lockdown rules - Telegraph.co.uk - September 20th, 2020
- Final Fantasy XVI: 3 things you might have missed in the trailer - RPG Site - September 20th, 2020
- Miller & Carter turn away two men because their 'chavvy' outfits breach dress code - Somerset Live - September 18th, 2020
- London crime: The faces of 5 men wanted over drugs and firearms offences - My London - September 16th, 2020
- Central American refugees stopped by Trump, then by pandemic - Herald-Whig - September 16th, 2020
- Baltimore murder suspects protected by sanctuary laws, ICE says; 'This is the worst-case scenario' - Fox News - September 16th, 2020
- Pepe the Frog Mutates from a Far Right Meme Into a Lovable, Far Gone Figure in Feels Good Man - The Texas Observer - September 16th, 2020
- Wait, The 'If I Go Missing' Kit From 'A.P. Bio' On Peacock Is A Real, Law Enforcement-Recommended Thing? - Oxygen - September 16th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Online Athens - September 16th, 2020
- The faces of the 7 most wanted men in the North West - Lancs Live - September 12th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Savannah Morning News - September 12th, 2020
- Fourteen Martyrs in the Struggle Against Racist Terror and Trumpism-Fascism - CounterPunch - September 12th, 2020
- De'Andre Asbury-Heath Is a Baseball Pro and a New Contestant on 'Love Island USA' - Distractify - September 12th, 2020
- The Advice Goddess - Argonaut Online - September 9th, 2020
- Forsberg: Is Theis the best bang-for-your-buck contract in NBA? - Comcast SportsNet New England - September 9th, 2020
- Nowadays, Body Inclusivity Sells, and Brands Will Ignore It at Their Peril - Study Breaks - September 9th, 2020
- 31 Extra-Special Ways You Described Your Sexual Orientation on the 2020 Reader Survey - Autostraddle - September 9th, 2020
- Post Malone on how face tattoos and Supreme drops inspired his wine empire - British GQ - September 7th, 2020
- Model falls in love with childhood sweetheart after 30 years when pal picks him out for her on app - Wales Online - September 7th, 2020
- In the near future, what will restaurant adventures look like? Choose your own. - Kansas City Pitch - September 7th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Massillon Independent - September 6th, 2020
- Whatever Happened To ... The Heavy Metal Mongolian Band Called The Hu? - KPCW - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - Belfast Live - September 6th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Suburbanite - September 6th, 2020
- A hero in the recovery community laid to rest - Concord Monitor - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - MyLondon - September 6th, 2020
- Thieves Steal Firearms from Gun Show in Morgantown - Berks Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit - The Free Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Behind the Ink: Tattoo Culture at Yale-NUS College - The Octant - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Star's boyfriend Andre Marhold's Baby Mommy Responds To their Relationship - Dankanator - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Simcoe Reformer - September 4th, 2020
- Childhood Sweethearts Fall In Love 30 Years Later Thanks To App - Comic Sands - September 4th, 2020