Hannah Michelle BussaCONTRIBUTOR
Truly, the Deaf community is a treasure to be found, says local Deaf artist, Renca Dunn.
September is Deaf Awareness Month, a time to increase public awareness about Deaf culture. As the only school in Nebraska that offers a bachelors degree in sign language interpreting, this is meaningful for UNO.
Its not necessarily a world without sounds but a visual one for me, says local artist Linsay Darnall Jr.
Darnall Jr. explains his experience: The only negative experience that I had was from the others and their framing of Deaf people. I dont use words such as hearing impaired or hearing loss because they have a negative connotation that enable the public to perceive us in a way that we are lacking something, that we need help. I use capital letter D to describe myself as a Deaf person. It invokes a sense of pride and community. An identity. Its more a sense of ethnicity according to my experience.
Linsay Darnall, Jr. was born Deaf to Deaf parent. After graduating from Nebraska School for the Deaf in Omaha, he studied at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C.
Darnall, Jr. is an American Sign Language (ASL) storyteller based in Omaha. ASL storytelling has an over 200-year history in the United States.
Back in the old days when Deaf people didnt have access to the radio or movies, they would get together and share stories, he says.
Darnall, Jr. has incorporated ASL into other forms of art. He has taught acting classes at the Rose Theater and directed Job the Movie. He consulted on historical ASL signing style and had an appearance in The Silent Natural, which is now streaming. He is also a narrator on the documentary, Audism Unveiled on Vimeo, depicting a form of oppression Deaf people face.
Heather Nurse is another Deaf artist based in Omaha. Born profoundly deaf to hearing parents, she highlights the importance of her schooling at Iowa School for the Deaf in Council Bluffs.
The Deaf school benefited me in countless ways, Nurse says. They taught me ASL and gave me equal access to communication and education with no language barrier.
Not every child born in a situation similar to Nurses has that experience.
Many deaf children do not have the chance to experience something like this, because unfortunately, not many [hearing] people know about ASL or Deaf schools and their benefits, she says. ASL is the root of Deaf culture, and I always think of it as an art because it is beautiful, unique and expressive. It is a visual language.
Nurse found her confidence in art while watching Bob Ross.
I thought I had to be hearing in order to be an artist, because I didnt know any Deaf artists, she says. However, at one point Bob Ross quoted on his show, The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. That resonated with me, so I decided to become a deaf artist.
Nurse does many forms of art, from realistic portraits and acrylic painting to special effects makeup and tattoo design.
I want to show the world more of Deaf artists and help the Deaf/hard of hearing community believe in themselves. We can do anything we want in life, Nurse says.
The Deaf community is full of colors. There are so many things you can learn about us to expand your worldview. We have Deaf models, musicians, artists, actors, teachers, truck drivers, and more, Renca Dunn says, a local Deaf social media artist who sings, acts, and creates comedy videos.
Dunn was born Deaf into the third generation of a Deaf family. She went to a mainstream school for the beginning of her education.
Dunn says: I was never happy because I did not feel a sense of belonging. I was not welcomed, but rather ridiculed. People made fun of my sign language. So, I moved to a Deaf school and that is where I felt more rooted in my identity. I became more confident in what I could do as a Deaf person and how I can fight against communication barriers and oppression.
After graduating from Washington School for the Deaf, Dunn went on to study at Gallaudet University and American University.
Personally, I do not think about my Deafness when I am in a group of Deaf people who are like me. My disability becomes blended in with others, she says. However, when I step in a world of hearing people and become surrounded with them, I am reminded of my Deafness. So, it impacts me in different ways. With my Deaf community, I appreciate being Deaf and I love our beautiful American Sign Language.
Dunn also speaks about hearing allies.
I think hearing people need to recognize their place in our Deaf community and how they can be our allies, she said. One too many times hearing people have exploited sign language by signing songs or teaching ASL or creating businesses and art that provide sign language when it is not their native language. So, it is important for hearing people to recognizehow they can support us without taking over.
We love having allies so if youre hearing and you genuinely want to learn more about us welcome! If you are late deafened and want to be part of the community, you are already part of us! Welcome! Theres a whole world to be discovered, Dunn said.
You can find and support each of these Deaf artists online:
Linsay Darnall, Jr.: on YouTube by searching his name, and his business website, http://www.darnallconsulting.com/index.html
Heather Nurse: Instagram: @hea.r.thersworld
Renca Dunn: ReallyRenca Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube and as a part-time anchor on The Daily Moth
Follow this link:
- Black Americans flock to gun stores and clubs: 'I needed to protect myself' - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Palm Beach County Teacher of the Year brings together lessons of Holocaust, racism - Palm Beach Post - April 5th, 2021
- Suzanne Nicastro: Its Time to Tell the Truth about Public School Closures - Noozhawk - February 17th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the process of becoming a tattoo artist - Argonaut - February 13th, 2021
- Welcome to the Gross Room - INKED - February 13th, 2021
- Walter Suza: A city along the Mississippi seeks to defeat hate - Ames Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Best of Jackson 2021: Community and Culture - Jackson Free Press - February 4th, 2021
- Eat my fear: Australian of the Year Grace Tame on surviving child sex abuse - Sydney Morning Herald - January 25th, 2021
- HIPAA Certification Online: Why Is It Worth It? - South Florida Caribbean News - January 24th, 2021
- State Is 'Battered, Not Broken' Kemp Says In State Of The State | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - January 15th, 2021
- Skin in the game: why getting a tattoo helped me achieve my goals - The Guardian - January 5th, 2021
- 20 touching photos from the Flint area in 2020 - MLive.com - December 28th, 2020
- What are the 'Tier 4' restrictions and will Harrogate be hit with tougher New Year Covid regulations? - Harrogate Advertiser - December 28th, 2020
- WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT DO FROM TODAY UNDER TIER 3 RESTRICTIONS - Island Echo - December 27th, 2020
- Tier 4 rules in full for Sussex: Heres what you can and cant do - Hastings Observer - December 27th, 2020
- Fusing the Flavors of the World - INKED - December 25th, 2020
- University of East Anglia, UK announces Sonny Mehta India Scholarship for budding Indian writers - India Education Diary - December 16th, 2020
- This 75-year-old from Madurai has preserved memories of the Dravidian movement - The News Minute - December 13th, 2020
- Tattoo training, online course - TattooTechniques.com - December 7th, 2020
- Licensed Tattoo Artist: Job Description and Education ... - December 7th, 2020
- Fun and Games this Holiday Season -- Gift Giving for Kids! - WISHTV.com - December 7th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Through Positive Eyes: living with HIV and Aids - a photo essay - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- DepEd admits error in a module that says people with tattoo are criminals - Manila Bulletin - November 20th, 2020
- The Japanese Pilgrimage Where Horimono Tattoos Are Revered - VICE - November 18th, 2020
- Educator of the Week: Jeff Bergman - Racine County Eye - November 18th, 2020
- Jacob Free: 5 things to know about the Troy University football quarterback - Montgomery Advertiser - November 18th, 2020
- Even as traditional globalisation has slowed, a new kind has sped up - The Economist - November 5th, 2020
- California voters reject affirmative action ballot measure - Education Week - November 5th, 2020
- Morality, legality and tattoos - koreatimes - October 31st, 2020
- Europes Locked Down, but Schools Are Open - The New York Times - October 31st, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 31st, 2020
- Tier 4 lockdown: what would the rules be, and what UK areas could be affected? - The Telegraph - October 31st, 2020
- What can we do as the county stays in the purple tier? - Sonoma West - October 28th, 2020
- Post Covid-19 Impact on Smart Tattoo Market Share Forecast by Application 2020 Analysis and Forecasts to 2027- MOTOROLA CORPORATION, Google Inc, and... - October 28th, 2020
- Simulation Learning Market Set to Register robust CAGR During 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Four in the running for 4th Senate seat - Journal Inquirer - October 24th, 2020
- Backlog of Test Results Is Reason for Todays Large Number of Reported COVID-19 Infections - WEHOville - October 24th, 2020
- Study outlines the link between tattoos and damage to sweat glands - News-Medical.net - October 21st, 2020
- QAnon-linked Save the Children movement is derailing local anti-trafficking organizations - The Arizona Republic - October 19th, 2020
- CURE's Inaugural Lung Cancer Heroes Program Honors Several Individuals Who Have Dedicated Their Lives and Careers to Improving Care for Patients -... - October 17th, 2020
- Herald building tenants raise fortunes of downtown area - tricitiesbusinessnews.com - October 16th, 2020
- V,I, Council on the Arts celebrated Arts and Humanities Month - Virgin Islands Daily News - October 9th, 2020
- Family of late Holy Cross rower Grace Rett speaks out, working to build a gym in her honor - Boston Herald - October 8th, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Jordan Hunt, Cornell University (Johnson) - Poets&Quants - October 8th, 2020
- Benjamin Keough Is Laid To Rest Next To His Grandfather Elvis At Graceland - - The Tech Education - October 4th, 2020
- IN CASE YOU MISSED ITSchedule of Reuters features from this week - Reuters - October 4th, 2020
- Anderson Luna Is Here To Make Tattooing Accessible To Other People Of Color - HuffPost - September 30th, 2020
- Heavily tattooed school teacher risks losing his job because of his appearance - Myjoyonline.com - September 25th, 2020
- People are getting coronavirus-themed tattoos of masks, toilet paper - Insider - INSIDER - September 20th, 2020
- Andrea Bolender Outlines Goals Of The Holocaust Memorial And Tolerance Center - Great Neck Record - September 18th, 2020
- Megan Connolly's winding career path a lesson in trust and faith - both on and off the field - Independent.ie - September 16th, 2020
- In Illinois, new survey finds 15% of millennials, Generation Z believe the Holocaust is a myth and did not h - Chicago Sun-Times - September 16th, 2020
- A look at how Trump's pointed rhetoric binds him to his tribe and it to him - Harvard Gazette - September 16th, 2020
- Creating Community: 7 Ground Floor Artists on the Art Scene in Birmingham - Bham Now - September 12th, 2020
- Portrait artist Akeem Hartman is one to watch - Stabroek News - September 12th, 2020
- The Black Lives Matter Movement Will Change the Future of Tattooing - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 11th, 2020
- Conroe man hit with huge 60-year sentence - Woodlands Online - September 9th, 2020
- County of Orange moves to Red Tier, re-opens more of Orange County - Orange County Breeze - September 9th, 2020
- Tattoo Source: Social application for tattoo artists is planning to makes waves in the industry worldwide - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2020
- Schalmont teacher going online to find '5 Minute Mentors' - The Daily Gazette - September 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Equipments Market Sets the Table for Continued Growth | Sabre, FK Irons, EZ Tattoo Supply, Kingpin Tattoo Supply - Bulletin Line - September 4th, 2020
- QuickBooks 101 Business Education Webinar on September 22 Open to All - PR Web - September 4th, 2020
- Education - atomictattoos.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Tattoo School | Tattoo Apprenticeships - Body Art & Soul ... - September 2nd, 2020
- Education - Virginia Arts Festival - September 2nd, 2020
- Learn How to Tattoo: Schools and Courses - September 2nd, 2020
- They came for us in the morning: What prison officials don't want you to know about the raid on 200+ incarcerated Black people at Soledad - San... - September 2nd, 2020
- Released from San Quentin, Rebuilding Their Lives - KQED - August 30th, 2020
- BTS: Jimin and his boat cap come to our rescue on this gloomy Thursday; Jiminie's '13' tattoo makes appearance - PINKVILLA - August 30th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Ink Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) by Type, End User and Region. - Galus Australis - August 28th, 2020
- Dozens of mask complaints filed against Muncie-area businesses - The Star Press - August 24th, 2020
- In April, this educator lost her mother to COVID. Now NYC wants her to go back to work. - ABC News - August 22nd, 2020
- Daisy Johnson: Agents Of SHIELD Superhero! Know All About Her And Her Real Life! - The Tech Education - August 19th, 2020
- Breast Implants Market to Reach $3.05 Billion by 2027; Technological Intervention Has Played a Massive Role in Market Growth, says Fortune Business... - August 19th, 2020
- Smart Tattoo Market Growth Rate Forecasts to 2026 by Trending Industry Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications- MOTOROLA CORPORATION, Google... - August 19th, 2020
- 5 questions for Scott Gottlieb, Rick Hess, and Michael Strain on the next stage of the COVID pandemic - American Enterprise Institute - August 19th, 2020
- Welcome to the CPP (Crony Payment Plan) - The Platte County Landmark Newspaper - August 14th, 2020
- From piercing to pediatrics; Fargo doctor takes an inspiring career path - INFORUM - August 13th, 2020