Netflixs Love On The Spectrum has shone a spotlight on dating with autism, but whats it really like to try to find The One when you have the condition?
Morag Fraser, 34, who was diagnosed at 29, shares her story
Settling down on the sofa with my favourite pizza, I turned on Netflix. Ever since Id heard about its new show Love On The Spectrum, Id been excited to watch it.
Autistic people arent often portrayed on TV and, as a single woman, I was thrilled that there was a new dating show dedicated to people like me.
But within minutes of watching, my heart began to race and not for the right reasons. All too often it felt like the joke was on them. "Oh, look at the freaks, they can date and everything! I felt my old anxieties begin to rear up: could this really be the way the rest of the world sees us?
I wished someone would commission a programme that showed what it was really like to date with autism. I grew up in the north of Scotland and Ive always been different.
At four, I taught myself to read because I got frustrated with how slowly my mum read bedtime stories to me and my little sister Kristy, now 32. My family nicknamed me TV Guide as I could recite what was on at any time.
But I was never tested for autism because, back then, many doctors believed only boys could be autistic. At school I was badly bullied. I suppose I was singled out as I was never girlie or into make-up, and I found it easier to be friends with boys because I usually had more in common with them, like football, comics and wrestling.
Over the years, I had relationships, including one at age 18 with Bill for four years while I did literary studies at Glasgow University. But he was possessive and controlling, and he completely shattered my self-esteem.
Looking back, it was a classic emotionally abusive relationship, in which he stopped me seeing friends and made me feel that no one else would put up with me and this was definitely exacerbated by my then-undiagnosed autism.
By 2005 I had started secondary teacher training in Dundee, and I met a guy called Tom on my course. I was attracted to how calm he was, and after a few months I finally broke up with Bill and Tom and I got together.
We eventually moved in, but I wasnt an easy person to be with and Tom often felt like hed become my carer rather than my partner. If we argued, my brain would freeze. I wouldnt be able to grasp why we were arguing and Id just panic and say, I dont understand, over and over. I would also get overwhelmed, curl up in a ball and stop talking.
I would weep and shake and my selective mutism would kick in. For years I suffered from depression and anxiety. But although I saw countless doctors about my mental health, autism was never mentioned.
Finally, in 2014 at the age of 29, I was diagnosed with autism after I went to see a different psychologist who suggested I should be tested.
Its a lengthy process, involving answering hundreds of questions. The doctor was matter of fact as she delivered the news that I was autistic, but I walked around in a daze all day as it sunk in.
I was relieved because its helped me understand myself much better. Life ever since has been full of Ahh, so thats why Im like that, moments.
Its small things like the way the sound of whistling makes me feel like my head is exploding, or struggling to tell when someones joking. There is no treatment for autism, but my diagnosis opened up support systems that I hadnt had access to before.
Family and friends were surprised by the diagnosis and some even asked if I was sure it was correct, but the test results were clear. I have never kept it a secret and I now consider myself disabled.
When I was 31, in 2017, my relationship with Tom broke down, after I found out he was cheating online. It hit me hard, but I knew I couldnt stay with him. Being diagnosed had given me a lot more self-awareness and made me realise what I wasnt willing to put up with. Afterwards, there were moments when I worried Id be alone forever.
I like my own company, but there are times when I could do with a hug. So although Ive now been single for over three years, I have been trying to meet someone. Last year a friend set me up with an autistic guy, but we quickly figured out it wasnt a good match, as the date was full of awkward silences.
Thats one of the things that annoys me about Love On The Spectrum this idea that you can just put two autistic people together and it will just work, like kids shoving Barbie and Ken dolls together.
I wouldnt rule out dating another autistic person, but I know how I am on my bad days and I dont know how it would work with two of us being that way. Ive tried dating apps, too.
The first time I logged on, I saw a cool punk-rocker guy with tattoos and we got chatting. I had high hopes, but after a few days he said he didnt think there should be a female Doctor in Doctor Who and we fell out. Im not one to disguise how I feel with an autistic person, you know youll always get the truth!
On another date, I struggled to realise he was joking when he said hed hiked Kilimanjaro, and it left me feeling silly. I try to be open from the outset about my diagnosis, but on several occasions Ive told blokes and theyve ghosted me for a while, then deleted me.
During lockdown I was speaking to one guy and it was going well, but the minute he heard the A word he just stopped replying to my messages.
I deleted the app because the ghosting made me feel crap, but Ive downloaded it again because I do want to meet someone. Another problem is that I tend to spook men because Ill come on a bit too strong if I like someone.
After one date, I started to think about a future with a guy and when I spoke to him about it, I got upset that our plans didnt align, because he wanted a large family and Im still not sure.
Sex can be more complicated when youre autistic. I suffer from sensory overload, so if something weirds me out, like feeling too hot or smothered, it can really put me off. This makes it hard to lose myself in the moment. Intimacy has to be about a connection before I can enjoy it, which means casual sex is off the table.
Ive also got to figure out whether theyre someone with a kink for messing with disabled girls. Ive read about men who fetishise disabled women, and thats not something I ever want to be part of. Its never happened to me, but its at the back of my mind when Im swiping, and its scary.
Recently Ive been on a few dates with a neurotypical (non-autistic) guy and its gone well. We like each other, but were not putting labels on it. We dont meet up often, but we chat online. I like to take things slow.
CAP IT OFFMum discovers daughter, 8, sleeps in shower cap to not waste time in the morning
HOME RUNGirl, 12, transforms family home for 50 & shes a dab hand with a power drill too
CHANGING ROOMSMum gives stepdaughters their own bedroom by transforming dingy utility room
LIFE HACKSMum-of-five living in a small 3-bed shares her top organisational tips
MAKES SCENTSSuperdrug Shoppers fragrances for 5 in the sale including DKNY & Michael Kors
LOO KNEWWoman transforms filthy grout from black to white in minutes using LOO CLEANER
I now live alone in Perthshire and work at a university as a student connections facilitator. I wouldnt rule out having a family, although Id foster or adopt because I might have to come off my antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication during pregnancy, and that would be a terrible idea.
Although I know lots of autistic people do have happy lives with their kids, I worry that my children would become my carers. There are days when Im so down, I cant get out of bed in the morning, and Id hate for my kids to have to look after me. In spite of all that, I know I have a lot to bring to a relationship and there can also be big positives to dating an autistic person.
We are likely to be loyal and genuine, and you are likely to always know where you stand in the relationship. Despite the extra issues I find myself up against, I hope that I will one day meet someone who will accept me for who I am with my Buffy obsession and my giant collection of plushies.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAILexclusive@the-sun.co.uk
Go here to read the rest:
- Getting Inked can impair sweating, make body to overheat - The Statesman - October 25th, 2020
- Deepdive: This is why #endsars trended this week - Mumbai Mirror - October 25th, 2020
- Male rappers are more than their music The Vermont Cynic - Vermont Cynic - October 24th, 2020
- Victor Ray Cruz Wanted to Turn His Life Around Then He Got the Coronavirus - Voice of San Diego - October 22nd, 2020
- Donations of blood wanted by hospital | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - October 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men Who Love Ink - menshealth.com - October 21st, 2020
- Women in Bhopal are getting tattoos of Goddess Durga to signify women empowerment - Free Press Journal - October 21st, 2020
- On Suits and Face Tattoos: The Black Community's Obsession with Respectability - The Southern Digest - October 21st, 2020
- Does Zac Efron Have Any Tattoos? The Answer Is Surprisingly Complicated - POPSUGAR - October 21st, 2020
- Dr. Dre and His Son Get Matching Tattoos - Rap-Up.com - October 21st, 2020
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020
- Katie Price admits she always kept a backup man on the side after ex-husband Kieran Hayler cheated on her - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Was the German unity celebrated Oct. 3 a good or a bad thing? - People's World - October 7th, 2020
- 'It hurts': Workers grapple with the mental impacts of Alberta's recession - WellandTribune.ca - October 4th, 2020
- 'I don't over think it' - Tarrus Riley on image, masculinity and music - Jamaica Gleaner - October 4th, 2020
- Preying on the Vulnerable: Half of Trafficked Women and Girls Are Immigrants - WTTW News - October 4th, 2020
- Chaplain Norris Burkes: Who's your BFF? - The Union of Grass Valley - October 2nd, 2020
- These are the internet's favorite memes from the first presidential debate of 2020 - NBC News - October 2nd, 2020
- New exhibition: 'Ink in the Lines': the art and meaning of military tattoos - Australian Photography - October 2nd, 2020
- DAWN Describes His Childhood, Relationship With HyunA, Meaning Of His Tattoos, And More - soompi - October 2nd, 2020
- How one man spent 34 years in prison after setting fire to a pair of curtains - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says she's getting boyfriend Carl Woods' face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dating - Brinkwire - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump's election spurred B.C. painter David A. Haughton to focus on evil - Straight.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Bleak Resonance of 'Native Son' | by Gary Younge - The New York Review of Books - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says shes getting boyfriend Carl Woods face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dat - The Sun - September 30th, 2020
- Will Smith Might Be a Superstar but He's Not Good at Everything, According To a Former Co-Star - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys? - Quartz - September 30th, 2020
- Man wanted in Toronto assault that left victim seriously injured: police - Global News - September 30th, 2020
- British Post-Punk Band Idles Are Throwing a Revolution, and Everyone's Invited - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2020
- 'Men get breast cancer too' | Ohio daughters raising awareness about breast cancer in men in honor of their father - WTOL - September 22nd, 2020
- Day 20: If You Live In The Rural West, You Better Fit The Part - KUNR Public Radio - September 22nd, 2020
- 15 Meaningful Dream Catcher Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - September 20th, 2020
- Five Guys a Week, review: irresistibly voyeuristic dating show adheres perfectly to lockdown rules - Telegraph.co.uk - September 20th, 2020
- Final Fantasy XVI: 3 things you might have missed in the trailer - RPG Site - September 20th, 2020
- Miller & Carter turn away two men because their 'chavvy' outfits breach dress code - Somerset Live - September 18th, 2020
- London crime: The faces of 5 men wanted over drugs and firearms offences - My London - September 16th, 2020
- Central American refugees stopped by Trump, then by pandemic - Herald-Whig - September 16th, 2020
- Baltimore murder suspects protected by sanctuary laws, ICE says; 'This is the worst-case scenario' - Fox News - September 16th, 2020
- Pepe the Frog Mutates from a Far Right Meme Into a Lovable, Far Gone Figure in Feels Good Man - The Texas Observer - September 16th, 2020
- Wait, The 'If I Go Missing' Kit From 'A.P. Bio' On Peacock Is A Real, Law Enforcement-Recommended Thing? - Oxygen - September 16th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Online Athens - September 16th, 2020
- The faces of the 7 most wanted men in the North West - Lancs Live - September 12th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Savannah Morning News - September 12th, 2020
- Fourteen Martyrs in the Struggle Against Racist Terror and Trumpism-Fascism - CounterPunch - September 12th, 2020
- De'Andre Asbury-Heath Is a Baseball Pro and a New Contestant on 'Love Island USA' - Distractify - September 12th, 2020
- The Advice Goddess - Argonaut Online - September 9th, 2020
- Forsberg: Is Theis the best bang-for-your-buck contract in NBA? - Comcast SportsNet New England - September 9th, 2020
- Nowadays, Body Inclusivity Sells, and Brands Will Ignore It at Their Peril - Study Breaks - September 9th, 2020
- 31 Extra-Special Ways You Described Your Sexual Orientation on the 2020 Reader Survey - Autostraddle - September 9th, 2020
- Post Malone on how face tattoos and Supreme drops inspired his wine empire - British GQ - September 7th, 2020
- Model falls in love with childhood sweetheart after 30 years when pal picks him out for her on app - Wales Online - September 7th, 2020
- In the near future, what will restaurant adventures look like? Choose your own. - Kansas City Pitch - September 7th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Massillon Independent - September 6th, 2020
- Whatever Happened To ... The Heavy Metal Mongolian Band Called The Hu? - KPCW - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - Belfast Live - September 6th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Suburbanite - September 6th, 2020
- A hero in the recovery community laid to rest - Concord Monitor - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - MyLondon - September 6th, 2020
- Thieves Steal Firearms from Gun Show in Morgantown - Berks Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit - The Free Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Behind the Ink: Tattoo Culture at Yale-NUS College - The Octant - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Star's boyfriend Andre Marhold's Baby Mommy Responds To their Relationship - Dankanator - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Simcoe Reformer - September 4th, 2020
- Childhood Sweethearts Fall In Love 30 Years Later Thanks To App - Comic Sands - September 4th, 2020