A mum who was subjected to a six-year campaign of horrific domestic violence has slammed her abusers 21 month jail sentence as disgusting.
Nicola Frost, 32, revealed how her violent and controlling ex-boyfriend forced her to get a series of tattoos of his name on her body - including one reading "Property of AJ Wharton".
Aaron James Wharton, 31, left Frost fearing for her life following one attack during which she was punched, kicked, strangled and had a knife pressed to her face in a three-hour ordeal.
Each year two million people in the UK are affected by domestic abuse. During the coronavirus lockdown there was a sharp increase in incidents as victims were trapped at home with perpetrators.
The court heard Wharton treated Frost "like a princess" for the first year of their relationship, then became increasingly violent and controlling (SWNS)
Frost, who finally contacted police after the attack in February 2019, said Wharton would "control every aspect of her life".
He made her get several tattoos of his name or initials on her body so "nobody else would touch her" because she was "his property".
Wharton, of Rosedale Road, Northampton, was convicted of Actual Bodily Harm and jailed for 21 months at Northampton Crown Court last Friday (21 August). He was also handed a ten-year restraining order banning him contacting his former partner.
Wharton was handed a 21 month prison sentence and ten year restraining order (SWNS)
But Frost has blasted his sentence as too lenient.
She said: The sentence for this is disgusting. No amount of time can repay what he has done to me and my kids.
Knowing he is going to get out in a year means it is not long enough. People like him dont change.
Speaking out after Whartons conviction in the hope that other victims of domestic violence will find the courage to speak out, Frost revealed how she became trapped in a spiral of escalating mental and physical torture and was isolated from friends and family.
The mum-of-five, from Northampton, said: "The first year was perfect. He treated me like a princess. But the next five years were a living hell.
Nicola Frost finally approached police after Wharton beat, kicked and threatened her with a knife during a three-hour ordeal (SWNS)
He controlled every aspect of my life.
Wharton would take his partners bank card, and refuse to let her communicate with friends.
He would hit me multiple times and stepped on my face quite regularly, punch me and slap me, and throw me against the walls.
He gave me a black eye and split lip a few times, but I was too scared to tell anyone and he knew I didnt have anyone else.
Birmingham restaurant first to be issued warning for flouting coronavirus distancing rules
Staff at a 700-year-old castle are being abused by visitors objecting to COVID-19 safety measures
Coronavirus R rate could be higher than 1 in every region of England
He made me get tattoos of his name on me. One said: Property of AJ Wharton.
Frost, who had two children with Wharton, broke up with him in June 2018 after suspecting he was cheating.
She said she tried to remain on good terms with him for the sake of their children up until the night of his most violent attack in February last year.
Wharton told Frost she was his "property" (SWNS)
She revealed how her ex flew into a drunken rage following a night out and only stopped the brutal assault when he fell asleep.
She said: "He knocked at my door at 3am. He punched me in the face within minutes. He put a knife to my face and cut my cheek. It was like he was possessed.
He was angry I was getting on with my life and he couldnt let go. He was saying I was his property.
He started hitting me with multiple punches, knocked me to the floor and started kicking me. It didnt matter if I was up or down, he would hit me.
He was drunk and if he hadnt fallen asleep I dont think Id be here today.
Aaron James Whartonforced Nicola Frost to get tattoos bearing his name all over her body (SWNS)
Frost said she wanted to go public with her experience to help other victims to find a way out.
She said: There are so many people in abusive relationships who cant speak out. Now I can, I am trying to help someone else by doing so.
"People need to know the signs and see it as abuse and to not doubt themselves, follow through and get out.
I would love to campaign on this and raise awareness for women and men all over the world in abusive relationships.
Id like to see increased funding for domestic abuse victims. There are charities like Womens Aid but they dont have enough.
Nicola Frost has spoken out about her ordeal to encourage other victims to see a way out of abuse (SWNS)
"The effect on me has been long standing. Sometimes I don't even trust my own family and I shudder when someone raises a hand.
"I am now un-training myself from what he trained me to be, mainly not having to ask permission to do anything.
But now I can understand myself better and get on with my life because hes in prison.
A recent survey conducted by domestic abuse charity Womens Aid revealed that more than two-thirds of survivors felt that domestic abuse escalated under lockdown, and 72% said that their abuser had more control over their life since the COVID-19 pandemic began.
Coronavirus: what happened today
Click here to sign up to the latest news, advice and information with our daily Catch-up newsletter
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020
- Katie Price admits she always kept a backup man on the side after ex-husband Kieran Hayler cheated on her - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Was the German unity celebrated Oct. 3 a good or a bad thing? - People's World - October 7th, 2020
- 'It hurts': Workers grapple with the mental impacts of Alberta's recession - WellandTribune.ca - October 4th, 2020
- 'I don't over think it' - Tarrus Riley on image, masculinity and music - Jamaica Gleaner - October 4th, 2020
- Preying on the Vulnerable: Half of Trafficked Women and Girls Are Immigrants - WTTW News - October 4th, 2020
- Chaplain Norris Burkes: Who's your BFF? - The Union of Grass Valley - October 2nd, 2020
- These are the internet's favorite memes from the first presidential debate of 2020 - NBC News - October 2nd, 2020
- New exhibition: 'Ink in the Lines': the art and meaning of military tattoos - Australian Photography - October 2nd, 2020
- DAWN Describes His Childhood, Relationship With HyunA, Meaning Of His Tattoos, And More - soompi - October 2nd, 2020
- How one man spent 34 years in prison after setting fire to a pair of curtains - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says she's getting boyfriend Carl Woods' face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dating - Brinkwire - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump's election spurred B.C. painter David A. Haughton to focus on evil - Straight.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Bleak Resonance of 'Native Son' | by Gary Younge - The New York Review of Books - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says shes getting boyfriend Carl Woods face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dat - The Sun - September 30th, 2020
- Will Smith Might Be a Superstar but He's Not Good at Everything, According To a Former Co-Star - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys? - Quartz - September 30th, 2020
- Man wanted in Toronto assault that left victim seriously injured: police - Global News - September 30th, 2020
- British Post-Punk Band Idles Are Throwing a Revolution, and Everyone's Invited - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2020
- 'Men get breast cancer too' | Ohio daughters raising awareness about breast cancer in men in honor of their father - WTOL - September 22nd, 2020
- Day 20: If You Live In The Rural West, You Better Fit The Part - KUNR Public Radio - September 22nd, 2020
- 15 Meaningful Dream Catcher Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - September 20th, 2020
- Men ghost me on dating apps when I tell them Im autistic I just want to be accepted - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- Five Guys a Week, review: irresistibly voyeuristic dating show adheres perfectly to lockdown rules - Telegraph.co.uk - September 20th, 2020
- Final Fantasy XVI: 3 things you might have missed in the trailer - RPG Site - September 20th, 2020
- Miller & Carter turn away two men because their 'chavvy' outfits breach dress code - Somerset Live - September 18th, 2020
- London crime: The faces of 5 men wanted over drugs and firearms offences - My London - September 16th, 2020
- Central American refugees stopped by Trump, then by pandemic - Herald-Whig - September 16th, 2020
- Baltimore murder suspects protected by sanctuary laws, ICE says; 'This is the worst-case scenario' - Fox News - September 16th, 2020
- Pepe the Frog Mutates from a Far Right Meme Into a Lovable, Far Gone Figure in Feels Good Man - The Texas Observer - September 16th, 2020
- Wait, The 'If I Go Missing' Kit From 'A.P. Bio' On Peacock Is A Real, Law Enforcement-Recommended Thing? - Oxygen - September 16th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Online Athens - September 16th, 2020
- The faces of the 7 most wanted men in the North West - Lancs Live - September 12th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Savannah Morning News - September 12th, 2020
- Fourteen Martyrs in the Struggle Against Racist Terror and Trumpism-Fascism - CounterPunch - September 12th, 2020
- De'Andre Asbury-Heath Is a Baseball Pro and a New Contestant on 'Love Island USA' - Distractify - September 12th, 2020
- The Advice Goddess - Argonaut Online - September 9th, 2020
- Forsberg: Is Theis the best bang-for-your-buck contract in NBA? - Comcast SportsNet New England - September 9th, 2020
- Nowadays, Body Inclusivity Sells, and Brands Will Ignore It at Their Peril - Study Breaks - September 9th, 2020
- 31 Extra-Special Ways You Described Your Sexual Orientation on the 2020 Reader Survey - Autostraddle - September 9th, 2020
- Post Malone on how face tattoos and Supreme drops inspired his wine empire - British GQ - September 7th, 2020
- Model falls in love with childhood sweetheart after 30 years when pal picks him out for her on app - Wales Online - September 7th, 2020
- In the near future, what will restaurant adventures look like? Choose your own. - Kansas City Pitch - September 7th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Massillon Independent - September 6th, 2020
- Whatever Happened To ... The Heavy Metal Mongolian Band Called The Hu? - KPCW - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - Belfast Live - September 6th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Suburbanite - September 6th, 2020
- A hero in the recovery community laid to rest - Concord Monitor - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - MyLondon - September 6th, 2020
- Thieves Steal Firearms from Gun Show in Morgantown - Berks Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit - The Free Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Behind the Ink: Tattoo Culture at Yale-NUS College - The Octant - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Star's boyfriend Andre Marhold's Baby Mommy Responds To their Relationship - Dankanator - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Simcoe Reformer - September 4th, 2020
- Childhood Sweethearts Fall In Love 30 Years Later Thanks To App - Comic Sands - September 4th, 2020
- Katie Price feared shed die or lose both legs in horror fall as traumatised star reveals shes back at The - The Sun - September 4th, 2020
- I used to enforce the NCAAs exploitation of college athletes; now I fight for the players - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Stars New Boyfriend Told His Babys Mother He Was Going On A Work Trip... - Celebrity Insider - September 4th, 2020
- BMW carjackers flee with nothing - after they are spooked by owner's dog - Birmingham Live - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Wetaskiwin Times Advertiser - September 4th, 2020
- Holden showrooms become museums this weekend as the 'iconic' car brand is farewelled across Tasmania - ABC News - September 4th, 2020
- The 74 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men | Improb - September 2nd, 2020
- The 140 Best Shoulder Tattoo Designs for Men (2020 ... - September 2nd, 2020
- 108 Best Badass Tattoos for Men | Improb - September 2nd, 2020