Carjackers punched a Sutton Coldfield man in the head as they tried to steal his BMW - but fled empty-handed after they were spooked by his dog.
It happened off Froggatts Ride in Walmley on Tuesday, August 25, after the victim had parked on the drive.
He was about to go into his home when he was attacked by three men wearing hoodies and balaclavas.
But the raiders were thwarted when they spotted the mans three-year-old dog on the passenger seat as neighbours came out due to the commotion.
The 50-year-old, who asked not to be named and would not reveal his dog's breed, said: "They must have followed me for a short distance as I had not gone out too far, picked me up on that journey and then followed me home.
"They waited until I parked the car and went to get my keys in the front door, they were around the corner and then jumped me and were after the keys and my watch.
"All they were after was the car."
The BMW owner said he was attacked by three men and did not want them to take his possessions, including a decent value watch and in particular his dog who was in the car.
He said: A I didnt want to give up my car, but more importantly my dog was in the car.
"I did put up a struggle, they punched me a few times in the head. I was waiting for my face to get punched, fortunately it didnt too much.I thought I was in for a good kicking.
Learn to lock doors whenever in any of the aforementioned areas.
Keep your windows rolled up when driving in the city, and sun roofs and boots closed.
You should always leave at least a vehicle and a half space between you and the car directly in front, experts say, to give you enough space to quickly maneuver around the vehicle and make your way to safety.
Motorists are reminded to use mirrors and surround cameras to remain self aware.
Typically, carjackers will struggle to target those driving in the middle lane, as they are harder to box in, as they have more routes of escape.
If someone does hit you from behind, and something doesn't seem right, stay in your vehicle with the windows rolled up and the doors locked.
If you have children in the car, make sure the carjacker knows - as this could throw them off course, and potentially help you navigate a tricky situation.
Remember: non-confrontation is ALWAYS the best response.
Contact the police immediately.
Describe the event in as much detail as possible - remember who, what, when, where and any details that can help.
Try to recall the attacker's height, weight, and any distinguishable features - be it eye colour, facial hair, tattoos, scars, hair colour, build, complexion.
Describe the attackers vehicle, too.
Take note of license plate number, colour, make, model, and year, as well as any marks like scratches, dents, damage, or personalisation.
"I kept my head down and tried to defend myself
"They managed to get the keys from me.
"My wife heard the commotion, looked out of the window not knowing what was going on and started causing a scene.
"The neighbour across the road also saw what was happening.By that time there was too much attraction on what was going on.
"They probably spotted I had already out the steering lock on, they did have the keys. But it was an extra delay for them.
"They probably saw a guy driving a car alone that fitted their requirements. Probably thought it was going to be an easy jump.
"But the dog was an unknown quantity for them an added deterrent, the lock was on and then the commotion.
"They just realised the point had come where there was too much interest in it. People had come out and they decided to leave."
The victim said three attacked him and he thought another was in their getaway car but it was difficult to describe them and added: "They had dark-coloured hoodies with the hoods up, balaclavas and at least one of them had a 'Covid face mask' on.
Click to playTap to play
"I couldnt put an age to them, I didnt see enough of them. The guy driving the car they came in, a silver Ford Focus, was Asian and at least one of them was white.
"It was all done and dusted inside of a minute. My wife called the police and they were there in four minutes.
"The police looked for them. I got the spare key to my car and parked it somewhere else out of the area, until I could get the key fobs and locks changed."
A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said: We are investigating the attempted robbery of a car in Walmley, Sutton Coldfield, on Tuesday, August 25.
"It is understood that three men attacked a man as he was taking his dog from the car, a BMW, after pulling up outside his home at about 5.30pm.
"The man was punched to the head but thankfully did not require hospital treatment.
"Keys were stolen and the three men left in a silver Ford Focus parked nearby.
"Our enquiries are ongoing and anyone with information can contact officers, quoting crime number 20BE/203531K/20, via Live Chat at http://www.west-midlands.police.uk, 8am to midnight, or by calling 101 anytime.
"To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."
See more here:
- Getting Inked can impair sweating, make body to overheat - The Statesman - October 25th, 2020
- Deepdive: This is why #endsars trended this week - Mumbai Mirror - October 25th, 2020
- Male rappers are more than their music The Vermont Cynic - Vermont Cynic - October 24th, 2020
- Victor Ray Cruz Wanted to Turn His Life Around Then He Got the Coronavirus - Voice of San Diego - October 22nd, 2020
- Donations of blood wanted by hospital | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - October 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men Who Love Ink - menshealth.com - October 21st, 2020
- Women in Bhopal are getting tattoos of Goddess Durga to signify women empowerment - Free Press Journal - October 21st, 2020
- On Suits and Face Tattoos: The Black Community's Obsession with Respectability - The Southern Digest - October 21st, 2020
- Does Zac Efron Have Any Tattoos? The Answer Is Surprisingly Complicated - POPSUGAR - October 21st, 2020
- Dr. Dre and His Son Get Matching Tattoos - Rap-Up.com - October 21st, 2020
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020
- Katie Price admits she always kept a backup man on the side after ex-husband Kieran Hayler cheated on her - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Was the German unity celebrated Oct. 3 a good or a bad thing? - People's World - October 7th, 2020
- 'It hurts': Workers grapple with the mental impacts of Alberta's recession - WellandTribune.ca - October 4th, 2020
- 'I don't over think it' - Tarrus Riley on image, masculinity and music - Jamaica Gleaner - October 4th, 2020
- Preying on the Vulnerable: Half of Trafficked Women and Girls Are Immigrants - WTTW News - October 4th, 2020
- Chaplain Norris Burkes: Who's your BFF? - The Union of Grass Valley - October 2nd, 2020
- These are the internet's favorite memes from the first presidential debate of 2020 - NBC News - October 2nd, 2020
- New exhibition: 'Ink in the Lines': the art and meaning of military tattoos - Australian Photography - October 2nd, 2020
- DAWN Describes His Childhood, Relationship With HyunA, Meaning Of His Tattoos, And More - soompi - October 2nd, 2020
- How one man spent 34 years in prison after setting fire to a pair of curtains - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says she's getting boyfriend Carl Woods' face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dating - Brinkwire - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump's election spurred B.C. painter David A. Haughton to focus on evil - Straight.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Bleak Resonance of 'Native Son' | by Gary Younge - The New York Review of Books - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price says shes getting boyfriend Carl Woods face tattooed on her arm after just four months of dat - The Sun - September 30th, 2020
- Will Smith Might Be a Superstar but He's Not Good at Everything, According To a Former Co-Star - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys? - Quartz - September 30th, 2020
- Man wanted in Toronto assault that left victim seriously injured: police - Global News - September 30th, 2020
- British Post-Punk Band Idles Are Throwing a Revolution, and Everyone's Invited - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2020
- 'Men get breast cancer too' | Ohio daughters raising awareness about breast cancer in men in honor of their father - WTOL - September 22nd, 2020
- Day 20: If You Live In The Rural West, You Better Fit The Part - KUNR Public Radio - September 22nd, 2020
- 15 Meaningful Dream Catcher Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - September 20th, 2020
- Men ghost me on dating apps when I tell them Im autistic I just want to be accepted - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- Five Guys a Week, review: irresistibly voyeuristic dating show adheres perfectly to lockdown rules - Telegraph.co.uk - September 20th, 2020
- Final Fantasy XVI: 3 things you might have missed in the trailer - RPG Site - September 20th, 2020
- Miller & Carter turn away two men because their 'chavvy' outfits breach dress code - Somerset Live - September 18th, 2020
- London crime: The faces of 5 men wanted over drugs and firearms offences - My London - September 16th, 2020
- Central American refugees stopped by Trump, then by pandemic - Herald-Whig - September 16th, 2020
- Baltimore murder suspects protected by sanctuary laws, ICE says; 'This is the worst-case scenario' - Fox News - September 16th, 2020
- Pepe the Frog Mutates from a Far Right Meme Into a Lovable, Far Gone Figure in Feels Good Man - The Texas Observer - September 16th, 2020
- Wait, The 'If I Go Missing' Kit From 'A.P. Bio' On Peacock Is A Real, Law Enforcement-Recommended Thing? - Oxygen - September 16th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Online Athens - September 16th, 2020
- The faces of the 7 most wanted men in the North West - Lancs Live - September 12th, 2020
- Oconee County sheriffs blotter: Thieves on video, a middle finger and a glob of tobacco dip - Savannah Morning News - September 12th, 2020
- Fourteen Martyrs in the Struggle Against Racist Terror and Trumpism-Fascism - CounterPunch - September 12th, 2020
- De'Andre Asbury-Heath Is a Baseball Pro and a New Contestant on 'Love Island USA' - Distractify - September 12th, 2020
- The Advice Goddess - Argonaut Online - September 9th, 2020
- Forsberg: Is Theis the best bang-for-your-buck contract in NBA? - Comcast SportsNet New England - September 9th, 2020
- Nowadays, Body Inclusivity Sells, and Brands Will Ignore It at Their Peril - Study Breaks - September 9th, 2020
- 31 Extra-Special Ways You Described Your Sexual Orientation on the 2020 Reader Survey - Autostraddle - September 9th, 2020
- Post Malone on how face tattoos and Supreme drops inspired his wine empire - British GQ - September 7th, 2020
- Model falls in love with childhood sweetheart after 30 years when pal picks him out for her on app - Wales Online - September 7th, 2020
- In the near future, what will restaurant adventures look like? Choose your own. - Kansas City Pitch - September 7th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Massillon Independent - September 6th, 2020
- Whatever Happened To ... The Heavy Metal Mongolian Band Called The Hu? - KPCW - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - Belfast Live - September 6th, 2020
- Commentary: I used to enforce the NCAA's exploitation - Suburbanite - September 6th, 2020
- A hero in the recovery community laid to rest - Concord Monitor - September 6th, 2020
- Model falls in love with sweetheart after 30 years thanks to app - MyLondon - September 6th, 2020
- Thieves Steal Firearms from Gun Show in Morgantown - Berks Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit - The Free Weekly - September 4th, 2020
- Behind the Ink: Tattoo Culture at Yale-NUS College - The Octant - September 4th, 2020
- Jeffree Star's boyfriend Andre Marhold's Baby Mommy Responds To their Relationship - Dankanator - September 4th, 2020
- Chinese university dress code sends a wrong message. How other schools deal with campus clothing - Simcoe Reformer - September 4th, 2020