So, you got a new tattoo a few days ago but youre noticing that somethings going wrong: Ink has spread beyond the lines of your tattoo and now it looks very blurry.
If you dont know much about tattoos, you might be wondering whats happening. Chances are, youre experiencing a tattoo blowout.
Luckily, a tattoo blowout isnt a serious problem that can harm your health. Unfortunately, it can greatly impact the appearance of your tattoo.
There isnt any data on how many people experience tattoo blowouts, but experts and anecdotal reports suggest its relatively uncommon but perhaps also underreported by people who get tattooed.
A tattoo blowout can strike when a tattoo artist injects ink too deeply into your skin beyond the top layer and into the fat below. In this fat layer, ink moves beyond the lines of your tattoo. This creates a distorted image.
Youll know youre experiencing a tattoo blowout within several days of getting a new tattoo. Some people experience mild blowouts, while in other cases, blowouts are more extreme.
In all cases, tattoo blowouts cause the lines in your tattoo to blur, and the ink used to create the lines usually move well outside their edges. It may look like the ink in your tattoo is bleeding outward, giving your tattoo a smudged appearance.
Tattoo blowouts occur when a tattoo artist presses too hard when applying ink to the skin. The ink is sent below the top layers of skin where tattoos belong.
Below the skins surface, the ink spreads out in a layer of fat. This creates the blurring associated with a tattoo blowout. Tissue samples, called biopsies, taken from people with tattoo blowouts show that theres ink much deeper below the skin than there should be.
There are three main ways to fix a tattoo blowout:
The least expensive way to minimize the appearance of a tattoo blowout is to camouflage the blowout with more tattooing. You might pay $80 to $300 for a blowout cover-up, depending on the size of your tattoo and the extent of the blowout.
If you notice a blowout just a few days after getting your tattoo, youll have to wait up to 2 months for the tattoo to heal before getting a cover-up to hide it. Its important to be diligent with your tattoo aftercare routine to make sure your tattoo heals properly.
The positive side of a good cover-up is that you can generally keep the look of your tattoo while reducing the appearance of a blowout.
If the blowout is severe, you might need to get a tattoo much darker or larger than the original. The tattoo youll end up with could be very different from the one you hoped youd receive.
Blowout cover-ups require expertise and good tattooing skills. Choose an experienced tattoo artist to make sure you dont have another blowout. A good artist also has the creative skills needed to maximize the appearance of your tattoo.
Laser therapy can also help to reduce the appearance of a tattoo blowout. Q-switched lasers send out waves of energy absorbed by ink particles in the skin. The energy diffuses the ink further in the skin so its less noticeable.
Laser therapy should leave you with the tattoo you intended, with little to no signs of a tattoo blowout. Take good care of your fixed tattoo, especially preventing sun exposure, which can cause it to fade.
While Q-switched laser therapy doesnt work for everyone, many people find it effective at fading blowouts. You may need five or more sessions in order to reduce the appearance of the blowout so its not noticeable. The number of sessions you need depends on the extent of the blowout and your bodys reaction to laser therapy.
Laser therapy can be more expensive than getting a cover-up. The cost depends on your tattoos size, color, and age.
The average cost of getting a tattoo removed in the United States is $463 per treatment, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Most insurance companies dont cover tattoo removal because its seen as a cosmetic procedure.
Surgical tattoo removal is the most invasive way to get rid of a tattoo blowout. It also requires getting rid of your tattoo. During surgical, or excision, tattoo removal, a surgeon will cut off your tattooed skin and sew your remaining skin back together.
This procedure is the only way to totally remove a blown-out tattoo. As with laser treatment, insurance companies usually dont cover the costs of surgical tattoo removal.
Other considerations with surgical tattoo removal include scarring and recovery time. The smaller the removed tattoo, the less scarring youll notice.
Tattoo blowouts arent considered a complication of tattooing. Instead, theyre a mistake that can happen due to lack of experience, carelessness, or simply a bad day. There are still some things to consider to reduce your risks of a tattoo blowout.
Some experts say placing a tattoo on thinner skin, such as the top of the foot or inside the arm, might increase your chances for a tattoo blowout. These areas also tend to be the most painful to get tattooed.
Women may also be more likely than men to experience blowouts because their skin tends to be thinner. So women may want to choose to get tattoos where their skin is thickest, such as on the legs.
While all tattoo artists may make this mistake while tattooing, choosing a tattoo artist with more skill and experience reduces your risks of a blowout. Talk to friends and family to see if they have recommendations.
Before you get a tattoo, make sure your artist is licensed and that their shop appears clean and well cared for.
If you notice your new tattoo seems to be blurring within a few days, chances are youre experiencing a tattoo blowout. The first thing you should do is notify the artist who tattooed you.
While your tattoo artist may offer to cover up the tattoo, consider all your options. You may want someone else to give you a cover-up if you think the artist wasnt skilled enough. Or perhaps youd rather try laser therapy if you like your tattoo but want to reduce the appearance of the blowout.
Once you decide on next steps, you should wait until your tattoo is healed before pursuing a cover-up, laser treatment, or surgical removal.
Contact a reputable tattoo artist with experience doing cover-ups if youd like to go the tattoo route. Contact a dermatologist if youd like to try laser therapy or surgical tattoo removal.
Tattoo blowouts are an unfortunate side effect for some people with new tattoos. While tattoo blowouts cant necessarily be prevented, there are steps you can take to minimize your risks.
If you have a tattoo blowout, there are several things you can do to reduce its appearance, such as choosing the right placement for your tattoo and going to a reputable tattoo artist. Allow your tattoo to heal properly before asking a professional to deal with the blowout.
See original here:
- Regretting a tattoo? These are your options when it comes to getting rid of it - Fashion Journal - February 20th, 2021
- Soliton Named Best New Technology Award at the Aesthetic Industry Association Board Meeting - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2021
- Britains most tattooed woman covers half her skin with make-up to show what she looks like without ink - The Sun - February 8th, 2021
- Pure Ink Tattoo Studios - NJ Premier Tattoo Studio - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - February 6th, 2021
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - February 6th, 2021
- Integrity Ink Provides Fast, Effective, and Affordable Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal in Crosby, TX with the Astanza Trinity Laser - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- As Statues Of America's Racist Past Were Removed This Year, So Were Tattoos - NPR - December 31st, 2020
- New tattoo shop open in Torrington - The Torrington Telegram - December 28th, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: Best Season 3 Episodes, According To IMDb - TheThings - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Celebs Who Refuse To Get Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson Is Allegedly Getting All of His Tattoos Removed Details - Allure - December 19th, 2020
- 15 Best Tattoo Removal Creams That Works: 2020 Buyer's Guide - December 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 18th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Machine Market status and outlook: 2021 business development plans by companies, industry trends and restraints, market share and... - December 16th, 2020
- Why Kat Von D Covered Up Her Tattoos - PopCrush - December 16th, 2020
- What you need to know before getting a white tattoo - The Saxon - November 27th, 2020
- S.I. orange zone: This could be the end of my business, says gym owner - silive.com - November 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: These businesses will close if NYC becomes an orange zone - SILive.com - November 20th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2020
- The 'healing' power of tattoos - by artist who says studios are like confession booths - Birmingham Live - November 8th, 2020
- Celebrity tattoos that will inspire you to get inked - Times Now - November 5th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 4th, 2020
- How to Remove Fresh Tattoo Ink from Skin - Tips to remove ... - November 1st, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - November 1st, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal: From Prep to Aftercare, Heres What to Expect - HYPEBAE - October 28th, 2020
- Best Tattoo Removal Treatments NJ | Laser Tattoo Treatment ... - October 21st, 2020
- Non laser Tattoo Removal: The most easy and cost effective way to remove tattoo - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - October 9th, 2020
- Reynolds ink: Why Rabbitohs skipper wants to 'start again' with tats - Sydney Morning Herald - October 8th, 2020
- What To Expect When You Get a Tattoo - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 4th, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 25th, 2020
- Bizarre: 44-year-old with several body modifications gets his nose removed to look like 'Human Satan' - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - August 26th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - August 26th, 2020
- Hackensack Medical Laser - Tattoo Removal New Jersey - August 26th, 2020
- Best Tattoo Removal NJ: Get Rid of Tattoos Today! - August 26th, 2020
- TikToker gets freckle tattoosand it goes horribly wrong - The Daily Dot - August 20th, 2020
- National Tattoo Removal Day: INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist And Hate Tattoos For Free - Latin Times - August 13th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal Market Rapidly Growing in Healthcare, Competitor Analysis, Complete Study of Current Trends and Forecast 2020-2023 - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - PRNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- Groupons offering free removal to ink fans who have a tattoo of the wrong star sign following Nasas 13th hor - The Sun - July 15th, 2020